Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 2005 Contributor

Okay, in for a penny in for a pound. I think that since everyone who posts contributes and those who have signed up are in fact currently members, we should consider hijacking the designation used by some of the arts/PBS crowd and call those who have donated "Sustaining Members" (I know, it's another class of membership, but when the question is asked by a newby we can explain that the board is self supporting through member contributions and we [Keith] would be happy to accept their contribution to support a really great forum). Since we're cheaper here in Texas than in Wisconsin (Karl) that's my $1.298.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Foster
    OK now guys - that just ain't right. LOL!

It's a cookie thing evidently. I first logged on this morning at work and there it was. Posted once and it was gone.

So, now I'm at home and I log in and low and behold - it's back. Make a post and BAM! Gone again! I think I'm getting dizzy!
    Looks like the Member title is reset to your default title when you post.

Err.. just consider it written in disappearing, reappearing ink. Yeah, that. For now.
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Looks like the Member title is reset to your default title when you post.

Err.. just consider it written in disappearing, reappearing ink. Yeah, that. For now.
    Oooh, self-modifying code, er, script. Put down the coffee cup and step away from the keyboard...nobody needs to get hurt...

Whatever it is, it doesn't work the way you describe it, because my default title is "Evil Overlord of the Invisible Universe", not this namby-pamby "2005 Contributor" nonsense. Fix it, will ya?

Fixed!

On another note..
    The 2005 Contributor designation will stay. It's intention is not to exclude, but to highlight those who have been able to contribute financially to what is now a member-supported enterprise. Our contributors are a big deal to me and it makes me proud to display it in their member title. We have no tier system, just a simple designation and visual reminder that a person has a part in keeping the 'Creek flowing. There is no elite membership, special private forum, extra votes, or anything else to be jealous of- let's all just recognize the good deeds of those who have contributed. If a member can't contribute, they're not falling short in the eyes of any respectful member of our community. We did carefully select the term contributor as an articulated decision, as all of the other titles were decided against for one reason or another-- sponsor, donor, etc.

As an aside,
    I used to be in the school talent show every year through elementary and early middle school. In 6th grade, (early 90s) everyone started getting green "Participant" ribbons instead of the traditional Blue, Red, and Yellow 1st through 3rd place ribbons, so as not to exclude anyone. I've just never been a fan. Maybe some readers will find deeper meaning in my story..

Thanks to all who contribute (most importantly) by staying active in the forums, and also to those who are able to support the operation of SawmillCreek. Kudos!
    _Aaron_
    SawmillCreek Administrator

Doesn't this thread belong in the Support section?

I think the contributor designation is fine....thanks for a good site to exchange ideas
    lou

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Parks
    Karl, have you checked the exchange rate recently?
    Uh, no can't say that I have. Did I mess up again?

Cecil, after my .02 cents is taxed it comes out to $1.398.

Karl
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

The board is screwy this morning. I posted the message above and thought it went to cyber space. So I re-posted and then there were two messages. Couldn't figure out how to delete message so this is the reason for this message.

If that makes sense to anyone, would you please explain it to me.

I did notice that my designation remained after I posted though.

Karl

P.S. Then after posting I noticed that both messages are numbered 745. If I'm in the Twilight Zone would someone throw me a rope.
    Last edited by Karl Laustrup; 11-11-2005 at 5:59 AM.
    Creeker Visits. They're the best.

I noticed the same thing Karl....Also, the refresh problem is back. Methinks the engine has a cough.
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Quote Originally Posted by Kirk (KC) Constable
    Doesn't this thread belong in the Support section?
    If I were a "Moderator" could moove it....now i am just a "Contributor"
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Mark

Maybe you can get a "Contributing Monitor" designation!

BTW, thanks for all of your "non financial" contributions to this forum. Everyone who posts makes this a unique valuable place.

Jay

Quote Originally Posted by Karl Laustrup
    P.S. Then after posting I noticed that both messages are numbered 745. If I'm in the Twilight Zone would someone throw me a rope.
    Took me a long time to get used to that: it's the total number of posts from you, not the number of the "current" post. It updates "live": you can go back to your very first post and it will display with the new number (700-something).

And the rope wouldn't help: ropes in the Twilight Zone only have one end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Singer
    If I were a "Moderator" could moove it....now i am just a "Contributor"
    Hey, you're right! Guess you should be a "Modertributor"!
    Cheers,
    John K. Miliunas

Cannot find REALITY.SYS. Universe halted.
    60 grit is a turning tool, ain't it?
    SMC is totally supported by volunteers and your generosity! Please help if you can!
    Looking for something for nothing? Check here!

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Koehl
    Fixed!

On another note..
    The 2005 Contributor designation will stay. It's intention is not to exclude, but to highlight those who have been able to contribute financially to what is now a member-supported enterprise. Our contributors are a big deal to me and it makes me proud to display it in their member title. We have no tier system, just a simple designation and visual reminder that a person has a part in keeping the 'Creek flowing. There is no elite membership, special private forum, extra votes, or anything else to be jealous of- let's all just recognize the good deeds of those who have contributed. If a member can't contribute, they're not falling short in the eyes of any respectful member of our community. We did carefully select the term contributor as an articulated decision, as all of the other titles were decided against for one reason or another-- sponsor, donor, etc.

As an aside,
    I used to be in the school talent show every year through elementary and early middle school. In 6th grade, (early 90s) everyone started getting green "Participant" ribbons instead of the traditional Blue, Red, and Yellow 1st through 3rd place ribbons, so as not to exclude anyone. I've just never been a fan. Maybe some readers will find deeper meaning in my story..

Thanks to all who contribute (most importantly) by staying active in the forums, and also to those who are able to support the operation of SawmillCreek. Kudos!
    Okay, this ought to move this discussion to the off topic column immediately. I'm with you Aaron. In an effort not to hurt our children's self esteen, we've ceased to reward excellence and instead recognize "participation". Our oldest and youngest are separated by 12 years and somewhere in that 12 year period things changed. Our oldest only got a trophy if his team finished 1st or 2nd. My youngest has a closet full of trophies because every kid on every team who participated got one. In fact, the last year he played in the Pizza Hut basketball league his team went undefeated, but by then they had stopped giving trophys for first place. Its not just sports either. You see the same thing in school programs too. I don't know exactly how to put it, but I think it causes people not to seek excellence because they can't see the difference between participating and achieving.

I like the contributor title. If it makes someone feel less because they didn't contribute, then they can contribute. We're talking $5 dollars a year. If they are here, they have a computer and an internet connection so they are not destitute.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Forman
    Well, I guess I'm going against the grain, but here is my $0.02 worth. I think there should be some sort of recognition right where it is now. This would let new visitors know that this is a self supporting board.Dan
    Ditto, Dan. Honestly, I don't see what all the fuss is about.

I think it's very appropriate to recognize those who have donated funds to keep this site going. One of the things I love about this place is that my screen is filled with wonderful stuff about woodworking rather than a bunch of ads. The closing of Hampton Roads required action, if we were to keep this community intact. If someone can't afford to donate right now, that's OK. There's absolutely nothing stopping them from joining in the discussions. I can't imagine someone being so embarrassed by not having the "2005 Contributor" tag underneath their name that they'd choose to not jump in the Creek.
    Sam/Atlanta