Thread: Is it wrong to want a little chillax on moving threads?

Is it wrong to want a little chillax on moving threads?

I posted a thread in the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum requesting input on a Shopsmith dust collector. A couple of replies and a little over 12 hours later the thread got moved to Workshops. I figured there was a more "appropriate" forum but the fact is that the General Woodworking and Power Tools forum gets probably at least 10 times the views of the other forums at any given time. To the mod that moved it, couldn't you let my thread stay there for a few days at least until it got more looks and replies then move it? I've seen threads stay for a week there before being moved. Just disappointing. Doesn't really seem like something to go all anal retentive about. I guess I'll just hope a few more replies come my way in the Workshops forum. <Crickets...>
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 02-02-2018 at 4:06 PM.

Mike,

The definition of items to be discussed in the Workshop forum as copied from it's header is:

Forum: WorkShops
    Building Electrical, Construction, Shop Layout and Dust Collection: Everything you want to know about housing all those tools!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Mike,

The definition of items to be discussed in the Workshop forum as copied from it's header is:

Forum: WorkShops
    Building Electrical, Construction, Shop Layout and Dust Collection: Everything you want to know about housing all those tools!
    Ken,
    I understand but I stand by my comments. I've seen threads in GW&PT for at least a week and get lots of responses before being moved. I was hopeful for something similar.
    Mike

Mike,

The front page here says there are 110,947 members. Imagine how difficult a job it would become for the few number of volunteer Moderators if they had to make special cases for all the posts for each of our members. It's difficult enough to even please the majority.
    Ken

Mike, sometimes the delay between when something is posted and when it's moved to a more appropriate forum area is simply because non of the volunteer moderators noticed it until then. We move dust collection to workshops several years ago because of it's nature and because the threads on the subject kept on getting buried in GW&PT because that forum moves so fast volume wise.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Ken, Jim,
    I understand and appreciate SMC and what everyone behind the scenes does to keep if functioning so well. I was just whining. I'm sure you also can understand where I'm coming from. I wasn't asking for any special request and can see that trying to provide those would be impossible to keep up with.

Thanks!
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    The front page here says there are 110,947 members..
    But if you look at the numbers;
    There are 3686 pages of members in the list.
    114 pages of those have 100 or more posts. Let's use 100 posts as determining if a member is active or not.
    That's only 3% of members being active. 3328
    Not that much to cover.

Now. if you use 500 posts to determine active members, that's only 31 pages. 1%
    Last edited by Myk Rian; 02-06-2018 at 2:10 PM.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Ah Myk,

I doubt if you'd want to cover that many. Of course, it's easy to be a critic!
    Ken