Thread: Sketchup - add one drawing to another drawing file.

Sketchup - add one drawing to another drawing file.

I am giving sketchup another go after a few years breather and am making some progress on the learning curve. My project is to turn a bedroom into a combination guest bedroom/home office. I have designed a desk in one drawing and drawers and amoire in another drawing. I would now like to pull them together in one drawing. I am using the free version of Sketchup and have tried exporting and importing to no avail. Is there a procedure for doing this?

Thank you in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    I am giving sketchup another go after a few years breather and am making some progress on the learning curve. My project is to turn a bedroom into a combination guest bedroom/home office. I have designed a desk in one drawing and drawers and amoire in another drawing. I would now like to pull them together in one drawing. I am using the free version of Sketchup and have tried exporting and importing to no avail. Is there a procedure for doing this?

Thank you in advance.
    Which free version are you using? If you're using SketchUp Make, you can use File>Import to import an existing SKP file into your current model. It'll then come into SketchUp as a component. If you are using SketchUp Free (the web browser based version, click on the folder icon in the upper left corner of the screen and then Insert.

Thank you Dave. I now have it in the drawing.

Very good, Bob.

So which version are you using?

Select the whole piece in one drawing , hit copy and then go to second drawing and hit paste. Works in all versions.

Not all versions. That doesn't work in SketchUp Free.

The only version I won't use is the new free web only version. The potential to screw you around is too great IMHO.

Thanks Dave and John,

I am using SketchUp Make 2017.

I originally tried using copy and paste as in Windows. Please don't ask why I tried to do that. I did not understand the copy and paste commands existed under the "Edit" pull down menu in SketchUp Make 2017.

I just used the copy and paste commands built into SketchUp Make 2017 and that also worked.

I am hitting my mental limit using SketchUp which is causing my drawing to get scrambled. I just don't have a good understanding of Components, Groups, Unique, etc. and how to maintain good construction and editing habits. But, so far, I think I will be able to accomplish what I want.

Bob, copy and paste is a good option. Also Copy and Paste in place can be very valuable. I use Paste in place more than Paste and have a keyboard shortcut for it.

As for your components, groups, and unique stuff, I can help you out. I'll send you a PM.