Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What makes a saw a "Cabinet Saw"?

What makes a saw a "Cabinet Saw"?

I'm trying to figure out the definition of "cabinet saw". How does it differ from a hybrid saw. I pretty much understand the "contractor saw" designation.

For example Grizzly G0771Z has a full length cabinet with the trunnion mounted to the cabinet but its considered a hybrid saw. It was my understanding from previous forays into woodworking that a cabinet mounted trunnion was what made a saw a cabinet saw.

Is it the weight? All cast iron top? Motor type and how its mounted?

Can someone explain the differences.

Like you, I thought the difference was where the trunions are mounted. I think that was the big difference when hybrids first came out. Now that line is being blurred. Now, it seems the difference is in the general oomph of the saw - cabinets being more heavy duty than hybrids. Also, true cabinet saws seem to be 3hp and up. Having said that, someone will no doubt point a 2hp saw being billed as a cabinet saw.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

There's really no agree upon standard that the industry uses to define cabinet saw. The lines are now definitely blurred, and some of the hybrid companies calling their saws "cabinet saw" doesn't help. But the true industrial cabinet saws, typically 3+ hp, are heavier duty in every regard. The hybrids that have cabinet mounted trunnions still tend to have much lighter duty under pinnings, lower weight, smaller motors, etc. The biggest difference will be noticed during use and over the life the saw.

Typical hybrid saws with "cabinet mounted trunnions":

Typical industrial cabinet saw:

Last edited by scott spencer; 02-02-2018 at 11:24 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I agree with the above and would add that like 20 years ago a Hybrid saw typically had a Universal Motor and the "trunion" was mounted to the saw top. Back then cabinet saws had the trunnion mounted to the cabinet. Further, Cabinet saws always had an Induction motor. Also back then IMHO in the pecking order the bottom of the stack were Hybrid Saws, then Contractor Saws, and lastly Cabinet Saws.

I think the distinction is that cabinet saws require 240v (have 3hp motors) and hybrids can be run on 120v (2hp max.)
    Bigger motors require heavier builds, but that is incidental.

So, a hybrid is built like a cabinet saw (but lighter...), but has the motor of a contractor saw. Hence a hybrid.

I don't think anything but jobsite saws ever had universal motors.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    I think the distinction is that cabinet saws require 240v (have 3hp motors) and hybrids can be run on 120v (2hp max.)
    Bigger motors require heavier builds, but that is incidental.

So, a hybrid is built like a cabinet saw (but lighter...), but has the motor of a contractor saw. Hence a hybrid.

I don't think anything but jobsite saws ever had universal motors.
    OK, That distinction makes sense. Can we all agree on that?

And does the smaller motor make the hybrid a bad saw for most hobbyists? Seems like the hybrids would work pretty well for most of us and spend the extra money on more tools or wood.

A “hobbiest” is just as hard to define as cabinet saw. Some “hobbyists” here have top of the line commercial gear, some have low end BORG tools.

OK, More confusion.

My Grizzly catalog came in the mail today. ON page 18 it lists the G1023RLWX which seems to be the current version of the 1023. However it calls it a table saw and there is no mention in the ad of the words "cabinet" or "hybrid". But it is a 3hp 230v saw.

Congress should investigate this.

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    This doesn't really work either since the Unisaw was sold for many years with a 1hp or 1-1/2hp motor.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    OK, More confusion.

My Grizzly catalog came in the mail today. ON page 18 it lists the G1023RLWX which seems to be the current version of the 1023. However it calls it a table saw and there is no mention in the ad of the words "cabinet" or "hybrid". But it is a 3hp 230v saw.

Congress should investigate this.
    Regardless of how you label it, the G1023RLWX is a much heavier duty saw than the G0771Z. Call it "Fred" and be done with it! ;-)

Last edited by scott spencer; 02-02-2018 at 5:15 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I like the distinction of the cabinet saw being heavier with a 3hp+ motor...that being said, a 1 3/4 or 2 hp motor on the hybrid saw, will be plenty for 90% of woodworking projects and tasks.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    This doesn't really work either since the Unisaw was sold for many years with a 1hp or 1-1/2hp motor.
    I've never seen one. Were the trunions as heavy as modern cabinet saws, or light like hybrid saws?

But it is really like discussing the difference between a heavy cruiser and a battleship, and pointing out that 120 years ago battleships were no larger than more modern cruisers. True, but irrelevant.

Marshall, you need to make a decision and buy a table saw!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Marshall, you need to make a decision and buy a table saw!
    I agree with that. But I only get one shot at this so I can't afford to make a bad decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Crimmins View Post
    I just wanna say that anyone who calls my '47 Unisaw a hybrid saw...well, them's fighting words! :-D