Thread: Source for Pratt & Lambert #38

Source for Pratt & Lambert #38

I have been wanting to try this stuff for quite a while, but I can't find a source. No one seems to carry it, nor can I find a mail order solution. Also, I would prefer quart size over a gallon as I am sure a gallon would gel before I got 25% through it.

Thanks!

Most of the old fashioned oil based Alkyd and Phenolic base varnishes have been taken off the market because of VOC restrictions.

There are still a few left.. Mostly they serve the Sailboat industry... Some of these require some additional work to make them suitable for indoor woodworking.... For example - Epifanes varnish requires additional Epifanes resin so it hardens properly in furniture use.. I have heard that Captains varnish can make a nice finish as well.

One that stands out is plain old Ace Interior Varnish... Yes - from Ace Hardware store...
    Waterlox is still a conventional oil varnish as well.. It generally gets very good marks.
    And Tru Oil is still a conventional varnish that wipes very well (though some find it a bit dark).

If you are willing to try a new Urethane base formula - Behlen's Rock Hard, Murdoch's, and (ironically) Minwax wiping poly all get very good marks.

I don't' know if they actually have it but the web site let me put the non-gloss/non-satin can in the shopping cart: http://www.uspaintsupply.com/paint/38-varnish/

Also the "find a retailer" option on this page brought up two dealers near me: http://www.prattandlambert.com/produ..._clear_varnish

4. Pond Cove Paints

Thanks for the replies gentlemen.

I went to uspaintsupply prior to making the query here, it showed "unavailable" for all gloss options.

I'll check out Pond Cove.

Lots of Ace Hardware stores will order it for you. I did have to buy six qts.
    Dan