Thread: Delta 31-780 B.O.S.S.

Delta 31-780 B.O.S.S.

Gents: I have a (probably 20 year old) Delta 31-780 Bench Operating Spindle Sander. Do not use it very often, but when I do it does work well.

Manual says to repack/change the bearing grease every 100 hours, but does not specify type of grease. Anyone have any idea as to what type of grease to use?

Thanks in advance....

I just used mine today...my use is also infrequently, but when it's the right tool...it's the right tool. I honestly didn't know about the maintenance you mentioned as I bought mine used and don't have a manual. 'Looking forward to any advise you receive accordingly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim Becker: Delta 31-780 on-line manual -- https://www.manualslib.com/manual/72...80.html#manual

Jim Becker: Took off the plastic gear cover and found that the motor shaft worm gear is metal, the spindle gear appears to be Nylon with very little lube remaining. Local auto shops and response on another woodworking site advised applying a silicone grease for the Nylon.

I purchased NAPA "Sil Glyde" grease, part # 765-1351, 4 oz. for US $7.95.

The screws holding the plastic gear cover are #6-32 x 1/2" and are easy to misplace. Luckily, I had a magnetic tray to catch them! if you loose one or both, drop me a PM here as I have some in my machine screw cache.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 02-06-2018 at 5:43 PM.

Thanks Ray. I'll check mine the next time I pull it out.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Jim Becker: Took off the plastic gear cover and found that the motor shaft worm gear is metal, the spindle gear appears to be Nylon with very little lube remaining. Local auto shops and response on another woodworking site advised applying a silicone grease for the Nylon.

I purchased NAPA "Sil Glyde" grease, part # 765-1351, 4 oz. for US $7.95.

The screws holding the plastic gear cover are #6-32 x 1/2" and are easy to misplace. Luckily, I had a magnetic tray to catch them! if you loose one or both, drop me a PM here as I have some in my machine screw cache.
    Hi Ray & Merry Christmas! I too picked up some of the Sil Glyde yesterday. Is there any rule of thumb as to how of the Sil Glyde to put in the gear box? I did coat both gears and left a couple dabs on the inside of the black cover. Also, I would like to mount the sander on a stand. Delta's 50-780 is no longer available as an assembly, and piece by piece would cost prohibitive. Any thoughts on another? I understand too that I will most likely need to cut the horizontal supports and drill new holes. I am just trying to find one that will involve the least amount of modification. Thanks so much! Jim Wiskus (Council Bluffs, IA)