Thread: Edmond Carter Plow

Edmond Carter Plow

I've been posting about my adventures buying wood plow planes off eBay and a little on fixing and correcting problems with the plows. There is much happiness in Casa Chaos tonight. The postman left the next to last plow from eBay. I have one more to come next week. Most of the plows no matter the cost have needed some work to function as a user plow. In fact cost and appearance have had little to do with the amount of fiddling needed.

Today's arrival was the exception, it cost a couple of pennies and it is a beautiful plow made by Edmond Carter Troy, N.Y.. Not a clue when but I my best guess is near the turn of the Century, and it came with what I expect were the 8 original cutters made by W. Butcher, Sheffield in a tool roll no less. All I did to the plow was put it together and sharpen one of the irons. It worked perfectly. What a joy a good wood plow is to use.

Not the best photo because of the backlighting:

edwardCarterTroyNYPlowPlane180201dscf2310.jpg

From the front:

edwardCarterTroyNYPlowPlaneFront180201dscf2312.jpg

The resultant groove:

edwardCarterTroyNYPlowPlaneGroove180201dscf2314.jpg

Click 'em to big 'em.

This one may replace my beloved Sandusky as my goto plow, at first use it is that good.

ken

Ken have you looked at the ECE plow? That may be a must have one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Boumenot View Post
    Ken have you looked at the ECE plow? That may be a must have one too.
    Ralph,

I have not tried one but from looking at the photos of the ECE I expect it would work very well and should help with the kissing frogs problem of the used market. I'll add one more thing, I have a number of ECE planes and all work well and all are a very good value.

ken

P.S. Now I have to figure out what to do with a shelf full of of plows now that I've found my prince.

I have a few Carter planes. They are pretty common around here and seem to be good planes.IIRC, he made planes around 1870. Let me know if you get hungry for more.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Parkis View Post
    I have a few Carter planes. They are pretty common around here and seem to be good planes.IIRC, he made planes around 1870. Let me know if you get hungry for more.
    Dave,

Thanks for the offer. Not many in the desert Southwest. If you run across a good moving fillister or plow with irons I would be very interested.

ken

I do have some moving fillster and plows. I'll to check and see if any of them are Carters.

I do have some moving fillster and plows. I'll to check and see if any of them are Carters.
    Thanks David,

I've had good luck with Sandusky's as well.

ken

IMAG0009.jpg
    Made by a fellow down in Cinci, OH...about 1860

DSCF0003 (800x600).jpg
    It would do a decent enough job....IF I could have kept the fence set....
    IMAG0009.jpg
    IMAG0009.jpgWedges never did hold much...finally gave up on it.....

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Made by a fellow down in Cinci, OH...about 1860

It would do a decent enough job....IF I could have kept the fence set....

Wedges never did hold much...finally gave up on it.....
    Steven,

Yeah the wedges can be a pain if they do not fit correctly.,They are faster to set than a screw arm but if they do not hold it is a PITA.

ken

Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Thanks David,

I've had good luck with Sandusky's as well.

ken
    I have checked and I don't have any Carter fillister or plows. I do have some fillisters that I believe will be great users and a few plows that I can equip with irons. I'm heading to Orlando for a week, but I will be happy to provide info when I get back.

I have checked and I don't have any Carter fillister or plows. I do have some fillisters that I believe will be great users and a few plows that I can equip with irons. I'm heading to Orlando for a week, but I will be happy to provide info when I get back.
    Thanks Dave,

ken