Thread: Powermatic 3520B bearings

Powermatic 3520B bearings

Hello, My Powermatic 3520B bearings are making some noise (ticking) It is getting louder and I want to get to it. It is a 2009 machine and it gets used nearly every day.
    I am looking for high quality bearings to replace the original with. Any suggestions ?
    Thanks in advance, Kevin

I rebuilt a 1950 Uni and a 3520B motor using Accurate Bearing Company. My 3520B was about two years old in 2015 when I got a ticking noise. I received a replacement motor but decided to tear into the original. I found out that the bearings got full of debris from lots of casting flash from the internal cooling fins. I cleaned the fins and motor and replaced the bearings - now better than new! Talking to Accurate I found out the motor had shielded bearings and they suggested using sealed ones.

I have also heard of the speed pickup hitting the rotor and making a ticking noise so maybe check that out.

Mike

Also, check the setscrews on the pulley and spindle lock to spindle. Verify that there is a little spindle bearing preload. I usually tighten the bearing nut finger tight and advance to next locking point. Too much preload will cause heat.

My first set of spindle bearings, 3+ years ago, were under warranty and were made in China. I didn't use them because of the poor surface finish appearance. I purchased and installed Nachi bearings made in Japan. Replaced the belt last year so changed the bearings again. Asked for an American manufacturer and the special order SKF bearings ended up being made in Bulgaria. These are in the machine now. One of the Nachi bearings for the motor was stamped China on the shield, the box didn't state made in Japan. It looked fine and is in the motor now. All this to say have fun trying to be specific about manufacturers.

I would give consideration to installing all rubber sealed bearings for the spindle, in that 6 rubber seals are going to generate a bit of heat at the higher speed range before they loosen up. If you plug the indexing holes in the headstock ( I used set screws) and don't use compressed air anywhere near the spindle nose there should be little dust getting in the bearings.
    There is probably a good reason that PM didn't use all RS bearings.

Myself and other turners I know have used bearings from VXB. Great quality and service.http://www.vxb.com/default.asp

Check with a local company that deals and distributes bearings to local auto and truck repair shops. Often, there are several classes of bearings for a given bearing. A good bearing company can take the original bearings and find one of equal or better quality.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Double check to make sure the arbor pulley hasn’t moved first. The set screws can loosen and since the belt isn’t running straight you may get a clicking. Do you get the clicking with the belt off? If there’s no sound it’s probably the pulley.There’s also a forum dedicated to the lathe you can review which has lots of info for issues.

It may may very well be the bearings but check everything before you rip it apart.
    Don

Thanks for the replies. I am looking for bearing numbers to cross reference. Is that 3520 group on Sawmill Creek?
    Thanks, Kevin

8. Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    . Is that 3520 group on Sawmill Creek? Thanks, Kevin
    Google "mustard monster group"
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Thanks for the replies. I am looking for bearing numbers to cross reference. Is that 3520 group on Sawmill Creek?
    Thanks, Kevin
    Which bearings are you looking at? The motor bearings on my 3520B were TPI 6205Z & 6203Z.

Mike

Sorry for the confusion, I am looking for the spindle bearing numbers.
    Kevin

Spindle bearing numbers are listed in the manual.

1 ea. 6206 double rubber seal
    2 ea. 6207 double metal shield

Manufacturers have different suffix letters for the shields and seals, the supplier will provide that info.

Joe

Kevin, I don't know where you are at, but I live here in the West Texas oil patch. The best of quality can be bought locally. Perhaps the same where you live. My 3520b spindle bearings had numbers on them. The bearings are easy to replace. You could do it by yourself. Look up powermatic (Wmh tool group I think) for instructions and part numbers.