Thread: De-rusting tools in Galveston County, Texas

Blog Entries

De-rusting tools in Galveston County, Texas

As we have mentioned Hurricane Harvey came through our area. We ended up with 3' +/- flood water in our homes and shops.
    My tools have been going through clean up and de-rusting.Saw tables and other tools came first. On my contractor's saw all
    that was needed was to remove the rust from saw tables and the like. I put Johnson's paste wax on my tools. If you haven't
    tried it, you should. One can will last you for years. Fortunately, our home has been fixed along with furniture.

Some of you may not know that wrapping hand tools with with aluminum foil will discourage rusting. Well today I worked on
    wood chisels and saws. If rust was there, I either sanded it off or buffed with a wire wheel. I also wrap files and rasps. After
    the tools are cleaned, I will wrap the seldom used tools with foil.

This is my second flood waters to recover from.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 02-01-2018 at 3:26 PM.

Blog Entries
    This is my second flood waters to recover from.
    Glad to hear you are getting through this.

Hopefully living in the hills will keep me from the same experience. Of course here in Southwestern Washington we have a constant humidity that takes its toll.

I put Johnson's paste wax on my tools. If you haven't
    tried it, you should. One can will last you for years.
    My current can of Johnson's paste wax was bought before they went with their clear formula for paste wax. It has been around for more than 10 years and is still over half full.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I was out in the shop just now looking in bins that my tools were in. In one bin there were clamps, bar clamps, spring clamps, c-clamps, you name it.
    I had no idea how many I have, I don't remember buying them.

I bet I am not the only one to do this. Why don't some of you go count the clamps in your shop and tell us.

Good Luck with the cleanup. Flooding is a real chore to get through.

I go through a case or two of Johnsons every year. . .It goes on nearly every flat sliding surface in the shop, whether its a plane sole, table saw top, hand saw plate, sliding fixtures, vise screw threads. . .
    Making furniture teaches us new ways to remove splinters.

Blog Entries
    I was in the shop today de-rusting tools. The cheap bench grinder from a local big box store with a wire wheel replacing the right hand wheel is doing a good job of removing rust.
    The Johnson floor wax is applied after de-rusting. My working collection of Disston hand saws survived with just wiping with a rag and wax.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

My current can of Johnson's paste wax was bought before they went with their clear formula for paste wax. It has been around for more than 10 years and is still over half full.

jtk
    Jim,
    By chance is your wax basically an orange/brown color? I ask because my tin is about 15 years old and the wax inside is an orangey brown. I cannot remember if it was always like that yet I know the Johnson's paste wax in a newer tin looks different. Wasn't sure if it was age or if they changed something in the formula.
    Edwin

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Jim,
    By chance is your wax basically an orange/brown color? I ask because my tin is about 15 years old and the wax inside is an orangey brown. I cannot remember if it was always like that yet I know the Johnson's paste wax in a newer tin looks different. Wasn't sure if it was age or if they changed something in the formula.
    Edwin
    I have a 5 yr old tin of Johnsons. It is a dull brown/gray.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Mine is kind of a dull brown/grey as Fred describes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Don't think I'll ever use up my can of Johnsons Paste wax....Had over 5 years.I use it a lot...
    Great product!!!!
    Jerry

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Mine is kind of a dull brown/grey as Fred describes.

jtk
    Jim/Fred,
    Well I did a little Google research and found out the formula for Johnson's Paste wax changed in 2009 insofar as they removed the colored dye which made it a tan/orange color like my older tin contents. The removal of the dye turned it more of the brownish grey that see in my newer tin, same as you're describing.
    Edwin

Mine is the old orange/brown.

Blog Entries
    A month later and I have almost finished with de-rusting and will start on a bench with drawers and shelves above. The carcass will be plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    A month later and I have almost finished with de-rusting and will start on a bench with drawers and shelves above. The carcass will be plywood.
    Awesome. Glad you are near the finish line on your recovery.