Thread: A Stepback Cupboard

A Stepback Cupboard

The Boss wanted a "Chimney Cupboard" to sit in a corner. Corner has an outside wall to the left, and a Chimney chase to the right
    the corner plot.jpg
    Need to clean this spot out. We looked around, and found something she liked....called a stepback cupboard, where the top half "steps back". Plan was to use the upper case as a Bookcase...the bottom case was to house most of the "Household Tools" sitting on that old kennel...so, after about 45bf of Ash, a bit of handtool work, a lot of cussing And a few odds and ends...here we go..
    front view.jpg
    Amber Shellac turned the Ash a golden/orange colour...
    opened doors.jpg
    Two bottom shelves will not get any finish....tools don't mind.
    opened drawer.jpg
    Same with the inside of the drawer...as I rarely finish the sides, or the insides of drawers
    dovetails.jpg
    I might need a little more practice, doing these by hand...
    side view.jpg
    This things stands at least 6'3", will have to measure it....Bookcase is 9" deep.
    hinge details.jpg
    Hinges were just Yard Sale finds from last year. Walnut plugs to cover the counter-bored screw-holes
    Both doors have a raised panel...made using a few handplanes.
    Shelves slide into place in sliding dovetails.
    Width of this project was sized to fit the space...allowing for the baseboards.
    Not too bad of a project? (Ash was about...$0.80a bf)

Looks like it will fit the space really well. I can't recall ever seeing daylight between the lower and upper halves like on yours. Do you intend to leave it that way? Looks a bit odd to me, and stuff that goes back in there might slip off the back, down the wall. Ash at $0.80/BF is a bargain. I pay more like $2.50.

John

There MAY yet be a drawer in that open space. Right now, I need it open, as the upper cabinet gets attached to the lower cabinet via a cleat on each side....two screws through the cleat and into the sides of the upper cabinet to attach. Then maybe a shallow drawer/ tray.....we'll see. I do have one more metal knob left over....

OK, here ya go....one drawer..
    IMG_3084 (640x480).jpg
    And...slide it open..
    .IMG_3085 (640x480).jpg
    Picked up a couple latches today, to lock the doors shut..
    IMG_3082 (640x480).jpg

Good looking piece of furniture!

Yep, the drawer was a good idea. Now it looks like a tall cabinet rather than one cabinet on top of another.

John