Thread: Late on a job for customer

Blog Entries

Late on a job for customer

Hi,

I made a railing for a customer. The base is metal and we have already installed it. The handrail is oak and is currently at a proper woodshop getting the profile cut.

The woodshop is taking 2 weeks longer than they agreed to at the beginning, which is only making me later. I'm not happy, but they don't seem to budge. I also don't want to piss off the easiest company to drive to, etc.

In instances like this, what do you guys do for the customer? Give discounts? Just apologize? Give them an extra something (cutting board, etc)?

Cheers,

If the rail is holding up an inspection, you could give them a crude temporary one which would allow occupancy. Are you sure they have not subbed it to another shop?

Blog Entries
    It's not holding up anything, just makes me look bad. It's a remodel thing.

The woodshop has it. It's just a local place. I guess I can request a date next time I walk in. It's just one of those old school feeling places with about 4 wood working employees. I'm sure no one has time to think about scheduling, etc. They're probably more doing it off of feel, etc. Which means my small order falls behind.

Make sure that shop knows that if they cannot deliver on your time line, you'll simply find someone else next time that can.

Are the customers hounding you? I usually keep in communications with the customer how things are progressing. Taking two weeks longer is usually not something for your customers to chop your head off as long as they are in the loop as to how things are progressing.

I don't think you can go wrong keeping the lines open with the customer. I would appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Orbine View Post
    Are the customers hounding you? I usually keep in communications with the customer how things are progressing. Taking two weeks longer is usually not something for your customers to chop your head off as long as they are in the loop as to how things are progressing.
    I second this. Honest, candid communication is the best policy and I'm betting the customer will pick up on your sincerity and conscientiousness and not torture you over it. But before giving a new delivery date to your customer, I would go back to your sub and commit them to a date making sure they understand how important it is to meet it.

I would certainly apologize and communicate as much as you know. I'd try to answer their questions before they ask them, if that makes sense. If you're not costing them money (like a delayed occupancy due to inspection issues mentioned above) I wouldn't offer a discount at this time. I'd go the extra mile at installation and make sure everything was top notch, leave the place cleaner than I found it, etc.

Not that I use this as an excuse, but in my experience customer's expectations are pretty low these days. I guess it's from shopping at WalMart. They may not even think its a big deal to be two weeks late. I often get feedback from my customers that it's a pleasure to do business with someone that delivers on time. Go figure, I thought that's how you were supposed to do it.