Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Summer...kind of

Blog Entries
    Usually this time of year things are still frozen around here. This was taken today:

February is a Bit Early for These.jpg

The daffodils and other early risers are getting tall in the fields.

This year locally we are breaking high temp records on a daily basis. The records being broken were not set during heat spells, they were one day anomalies.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Usually this time of year things are still frozen around here. This was taken today:

February is a Bit Early for These.jpg

The daffodils and other early risers are getting tall in the fields.

This year locally we are breaking high temp records on a daily basis. The records being broken were not set during heat spells, they were one day anomalies.

jtk
    I think it was 2 years ago we had daffodils 2"-3" high in late January - had a very warm early January. Then it got as cold as 15 F. They survived much to my surprise but the blooms were sparse. Our winter temps have been normal to slightly below normal I'd guess.

Jim I am happy for you. Today I am at home because it is currently -32C and we just had snow for a day and a half.Alberta is having a real winter this year,last year not so much. I grew up in the Yukon and when we went there for a holiday two summers ago it was fascinating to see changes there. The brush and vegetation in general is much thicker on lower mountains and for some reason many more bears around. They have also been finding tons of archoelogical finds. Most notably intact arrows (big) from spear throwers some even with feathers intact and wood shafts preserved perfectly from being frozen in ice. Apparently carbon dating is very accurate on plant based objects and these are coming in at around 700 years old. They fly around in helicopters to lower mountains and look along the edges of year round snow .

Blog Entries
    Jim I am happy for you.
    Let's not be hasty popping the champagne corks. When the door was opened this morning to see if there were any signs of one of our cats there was frost and ice out side. Looks like the forecast is calling for another freeze in a few days.

Guess we will have to wait a little longer before putting out the tomato plants.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim our weather has warmed up,now we are at -10C. Good luck with the tomatoes,spring will be here eventually.