Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Z axis broke?

So I found the connection where the z touch puck goes into the machine was very loose. I tightened that and now my z axis goes up and down much better( still sounds a bit weird) but it does not home it self, it goes to home in the x and y axis but the z continues to go up, then down, then up...like its lost or something? Do I need to "reboot" it or something? I put in a call to technical support on Thursday, didn't hear back from them, got an email saying they were busy and that they would get in touch with me I Friday..nothing. Hopefully they get with me on Monday.

Something's still wrong with your connection or cable. Check the contacts in the cable, if the connector was loose it might have arced the contacts a bunch and damaged them. Going randomly up/down/chicken dancing is how my router's Z axis behaved when the cable was damaged.

Been on the phone the last two days with tech support. Ruled out any bad drivers, all wires seem to be tight and good connections. They are sending me a new motor to try. He said he wasn't sure that would fix it but he was stumped especially with the z axis intermittently going up and down erratically, but I guess this will rule out wether or not it's a bad motor or not..

Scott, did you get the problem solved. Just curious.

Yes, just figured it out this weekend! Mark Canada nailed it on the head, my cable to the control box must have been damaged. I bypassed it with new wire straight to the box and it worked perfect. I need to go get a new cable and reroute it now and all should be good, a project I'll get to in the next few days. I'll pull the old cable out and see if there is any visible damage. I still think it's odd that the cable would go bad, but I guess "stuff" happens. Thanks everyone for all your help!