Thread: Cutting board with inlay

Cutting board with inlay

So... I've been in creative mode lately to augment our Etsy shop and have come up with more unique cutting boards, trivets, etc. I haven't done a video in a month so it was time for another and I decided to do one on this cutting board.

It's edge grain Maple with Walnut inlay and the rosette is left over pieces from end grain cutting boards. I knew those little pieces would come in handy one day! The board is 12" x 16.5" x 1" thick. For those who play guitar this is styled after a 00 size Martin guitar. For those who don't play guitar, it's still styled after a 00 size Martin guitar.

Here's the finished board -
    006 - Guitar inlay board.jpg

007 - Guitar inlay board.jpg

And here's the making of video -

Enjoy!
    David
    David
    CurlyWoodShop on Etsy, David Falkner on YouTube, difalkner on Instagram

You are a brave man cutting that thing up like that, but the end result is outstanding!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You are a brave man cutting that thing up like that, but the end result is outstanding!
    Thanks, Jim! That didn't bother me at all. What was difficult was cutting two cavities in this end grain cutting board a few minutes ago - 15" x 15" x 2 1/4". The crosses, one on each side, needed to be in the same spot on both sides, dead parallel to the sides, and I have one shot at it or I would have to make the cutting board all over again. So even if I got one right and missed the other I would be starting over. But, alas, the crosses are within 1/32" of each other and that's far closer than my customer is going to be checking anyway.

Btw, cutting pockets into end grain is some sweet cutting! I wish edge and face grain cut this nicely.

005 - Cavity, Cherry cross.jpg

David
    David

THAT is a job for a CNC...hey, new tool opportunity!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Ah.. David,

You forgot the strings--I believe it would play nice for cheese!!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Beautiful David. Something tells me you make the CNC work look a lot easier than it is. Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Volden View Post
    Ah.. David,

You forgot the strings--I believe it would play nice for cheese!!

Bruce
    Haha! I actually had strings and bridge pins in my initial design but ultimately decided it was too much. I like the minimal look of this better. The end grain rosette had to say, though. I think that looks cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjimin Young View Post
    Beautiful David. Something tells me you make the CNC work look a lot easier than it is. Thanks for sharing.
    Thanks, Benjimin! I have to admit the CNC work is much easier now than when I started with it 15 months ago. I guess that's like anything else, though.

David
    David