Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: So...Who Actually Uses Their No. 6 Plane?

#6?

Never need one; don't own one; and won't own one.

Simon

Good for shooting edges.

+1 For shooting! I love my #6 for shooting endgrain. It is long and heavy enough to do the job well!
    Phil

I have a custom made #6 wooden Steve Knight plane. I use it all the time. Cocobolo body and a really great blade which I think is O1.
    Super easy on the push and with a little wax, almost air lite.

I've several #5's but the Knight plane and the Swiss jack are go to planes to keep the effort requirements for rock maple or hickory type hardwoods
    within my tired old bones.

Did I say they were good lookin' too? Hoot!

Enjoy the shavings!

Other than a few test swipes after I refurbished it, I don't think I've used mine at all. The same is true with my #7. They'll likely be part of the next tool purge.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

My #6 was my favorite of all. Long Jack, short jointer, and even smoother when finished nice enough. I just retired all of my Stanley planes recently. Not because I don't like them but other reasons. I had a hard time giving up the 6. I actually believe that that 6 saw more use than all of the others combined. If your work involves say 3ft or less most of the time the 6 is great IMO.
    Jim

7. I have to dimension everything by hand so it usually gets some use somewhere. I use it for a little of everything, but don't use it as much as I used to since getting a LN #8. I have my #5 setup for roughing, but like to keep the 6 fettled a little more towards the finishing side since I use it for smaller pieces.

I do, but that is mostly because it is what I have. It was my first rusty pawn shop find that I restored. Right now I have that and a 5.

No idea how much I will use it once I add a few more, but right now it gets a lot of use.

Blog Entries
    I was de-rusting a #6 Bailey yesterday. I have a Veritas iron and breaker on it.
    I will buy a small can of black automotive paint to cover the japanning.
    It does a great job.

I don't know why, but I have seven hand planes, including three Bedrocks, a 604, 605, and a 607.

Blog Entries
    Don’t have a #6. Only held one at a LN show.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I think it is a very versatile plane. In fact, it is probably my most used plane of all.

It is my go-to for shooting board especially boards >3" wide. The extra weight is the reason.

I like it for face planing/flattening small panels.

I use 2 blade set ups:

1. Corners just rounded off and blade flat for edge planing and final face planing.

2. Very slight camber. For xgrain flattening a large panel.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    If there ever was a thread begging for Patrick Leach to join in, this is it!
    Haha, I was thinking that when I made the original post. I admit his dislike of the #6 rubbed off on me a bit when I first got into hand planes. Maybe that's why it gathered dust more than any other tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip J Allen View Post
    +1 For shooting! I love my #6 for shooting endgrain. It is long and heavy enough to do the job well!
    Phil
    While doable, I don't shoot endgrain with any standard angle planes.

Simon

My #6 gets a fair amount of use because of how I prep the blade. It's sharpened with a 16" radius.
    So when my 5-1/2 with an 8" radius is a bit aggressive, out comes #6.
    AKA - "The human termite"

Use it all the time. I am a big guy so it fits me well, good workout as well. Good for flattening things after the jack plane.