Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So...Who Actually Uses Their No. 6 Plane?

So...Who Actually Uses Their No. 6 Plane?

IMG_5079.jpg

It was one of the first planes I bought actually, just a coincidence that a #6 was what I found for the price I was willing to pay. I used it for jointing until I got a #7 and since then it's been demoted to dust-gathering duty. I got it back out today to serve as a jointer for some smaller pieces and because I feel some sympathy (yes, I did just personify a tool) for it. I just can't quite figure out what I think of this thing.

So those of you that have a #6, what do you use it for? Does anyone actually use it as a fore plane? After a thicker-cutting plane or is it your heavy-duty workhorse?

Used my Stanley #6c,T-10 jsu a few days ago....jointing parts for a panel glue up. Mainly as a jointer

But can do face planing, too....depends on the size of the boards.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I mostly use it to flatten panels after glue up and also some shorter edge true up. Most of my glued up panels are small enough to not need the #7 to get where I need them.
    David

Blog Entries
    My #6s get used all the time. Here it is recently being used finish planing some pieces a little wide for a #5:

Apron Stop.jpg

On the same pieces it can also be used as a jointer to smooth the mill and saw marks:

In To the Claw.jpg

My other #6 tends to get used more often since it is on a more accessible shelf. This one, if you look close you can see, doesn't have a lateral adjuster it is a type 4. The other #6 is a type 9. If my arms are really tired and a short jointer can do the job, then my 5-1/2 gets used.

On some projects the #6 is just a big jack plane. It may be the only bench plane used on some projects.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I use mine as a small jointer and sometimes for roughing. I use a 5 more often for roughing, though. The 6 does see use, but it would be one of the first planes I'd give up if you forced me to.

My #6 gathers dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Cunningham View Post
    My #6 gathers dust.
    +1 Mine too.

I use my LN #6 often....EAsier to handle than the #7..Just my experience
    Jerry

It is my try plane for large panels, table tops, etc. A little camber works great on it. #7 and #8 for jointing only.

My #6 gets used a lot. More than #7 and a lot more than #8. I like the weight and length.

If there ever was a thread begging for Patrick Leach to join in, this is it!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

I remember what Mssr Leach said about a #6. I was a member of a small group that once sent him a highly customized #5.
    Last edited by Bruce Haugen; 02-01-2018 at 12:38 AM.

Blog Entries
    The comments in Blood and Gore dismissing the usefulness of a #6 kept them more affordable.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan1.htm

There are a lot of folks out there who believe that these longer planes - the #6, #7, and #8 - have to be perfectly flat in order for them to work. Good luck finding one that's perfectly flat, as they don't exist, all of which is proof enough that the old timers, who depended upon these tools for their livelihood, could make effective use of them in a non-perfect state.

15. I also uze my #6c frequently.