Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Robert Sorby beginner's set

Thomas, there is no 1” scraper in the set. There are two skews, one oval and one ‘usual’. This is the exact same set I started with, and still have and use. I agree with the comments by both Fred and George — the oval skew’s a PIA, and the steel is some good stuff. I’d go for it!
    Don't let it bring you down,
    It's only castles burning,
    Just find someone who's turning,
    And you will come around

Neil Young (with a little bit of emphasis added by me)

Board member, Gulf Coast Woodturners Association

Thomas, they're good turning tools, and that'a a good price. Personally, I think you should buy them if they are still available. I have my doubts, that you will ever be sorry you bought them. I would buy them if I had the chance, if for nothing else they would be good second or spare tools.
    Len

Yeah, I've decided to buy them. Pick them up on Saturday. I couldn't find anything close to what Mike was suggesting on Woodturners. Cheapest set was $179. $50 for an new eight piece set would have been an incredible deal, hard to pass up. I just didn't see them or anything close for even $100.

The first skew I purchased was the same oval skew in this set. I would recommend that you practice with something 1" or less in diameter, otherwise you are just too close to one of the points of the skew and an unpleasant experience. My early experiences with the narrow oval skew on larger diameter work left me with a deep distrust for the skew in general. It wasn't until a few years later that I tried a 1" conventional skew and found out that the skew didn't always equal a ruined project. I now use that oval skew on most pens I make.

I picked up the set and actually used some of them a bit. There are two spindle gouges, a roughing gouge 3/8 and 1/4, parting tool, 1" skew, and a 1/2" shear scraper. I'm guessing at what the last one is. It may be a scraper that just has a compound grind on it. Some were pretty sharp, but none were real good. Anyway, they are a medium handle set, smaller than the other tools I have. So, most of them do fill a void in my turning tools. I think they'll be great for spindle and small pieces of work. The skew worked quite well for finish smoothing some file handles I made as practice pieces. I was proud of myself for not getting any catches with the skew as this is the first time I've used one.

A friend loaned me his Tormak sharpening jigs to used on my Grizzly wet grinder. Last night I practiced on a cheap Chinese tool set that I have and think I go pretty good results. I'll finish up that set and try them out before I go to grinding on the R.S. tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kaufman View Post
    .. It wasn't until a few years later that I tried a 1" conventional skew and found out that the skew didn't always equal a ruined project. I now use that oval skew on most pens I make.
    I'm one who likes the oval skew just fine - I don't "feel" much difference between it and the other more conventional skews I use. It's not much good as a scraper and perhaps peeling cuts, but it works perfectly well for planing, facing, and v-grooves. In fact, the oval tends to give a bit more visibility for plunge-type cuts. As for planing, the bevel always perfectly supports the edge so the shape cross-sectional shape of the skew shouldn't make any difference. At least none that I can tell.

I keep two 1" Sorby oval skews, one with a 40-deg included angle and a second with a smaller angle, closer to 30-deg I think. They do take more effort to sharpen freehand. Probably best sharpened on a belt sander.

Anyone who has an oval skew gathering dust can send them here! (That's how I got one of those I have.) I'll use them to teach and give them to promising people.

JKJ