Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Robert Sorby beginner's set

Robert Sorby beginner's set

I have a chance to buy a used set of R.S. beginners chisels, 6 piece set, the basics for $100. Are they worth it? These tools are on craig's list. They don't look like they've ever been sharpened. Although the handles show some wear of paint and finish. Looks like mostly from a loveless life of a none-turner. What do you think? Appreciate the opinions.

I am not much in favor of sets, but without seeing the tools I would prefer this - https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/mer...he-chisel-sets

Left click my name for homepage link.

Similar set: 3/4" skew, a bowl gouge, 3/4" roughing gouge, spindle gouge, 1" scraper, parting tool . Roughing and bowl gouge are long handled. Is the BB steel as good as that used in robert sorby?

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    I am not much in favor of sets, but without seeing the tools I would prefer this - https://www.pennstateind.com/mm5/mer...he-chisel-sets

I can’t answer as to the steel. I believe both are M2 HSS, but beyond that I don’t know. I do have some BB scrapers and a large roughing gouge that seem to do fine. My thought is that you would be better served getting some individual tools consistent with what you want to turn and eventually move up to Thompson and D-Way.

thanks John. I'm looking at tools I can use to learn to sharpen and practice cutting without worrying too much if I ruin them. From what I've read, the R.S. steel is a bit better hardened. Since the R.S. set sells new for over $200, I think $100 is reasonable, especially if they have never been sharpened (in spite of some surface corrosion from lack of love). They look like they've just been sitting around in someone's garage for years, owned by someone that never really used them.

Just keep in mind that on most all tools except the skew corrosion on the flute or top side will prevent a good edge as the cutting edge is comprised of the grind and the top surface. Without honing the flute to a clean surface it may not produce a good edge.

Here is what they look like

IMG_0349.jpg

They don't look to be in bad shape. The quality is probably fine and the price isn't bad.

I bought basically the same set when I started turning and I still use some of them. The bowl gouge wore out to the point of no flute left, the oval skew is a PIA to use. The rest of the tools I still use on occasion. I think the extra skew isn't part of the original set. For the money they are well worth purchasing in my opinion. Good luck and have fun.
    Fred

Take a look at the Woodturning Store - they currently have a 20% off sale. You can get a similar HSS 8-piece beginners set for less than $50 more.

Mike

Good buy, I have 3 or 4 out of the set. Sorby is a good brand. I would be proud to own them, I am of mine. In my opinion turning tools made in England or USA are the best.

I couldn't find them
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Take a look at the Woodturning Store - they currently have a 20% off sale. You can get a similar HSS 8-piece beginners set for less than $50 more.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by thomas lucas View Post
    I couldn't find them

Linky

put it in cart to see discount

Must only be available to select group or something. Link doesn't work (error 404 on woodturning store website). 8 piece set shows $179 in my cart.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Linky

put it in cart to see discount

Quote Originally Posted by thomas lucas View Post
    Must only be available to select group or something. Link doesn't work (error 404 on woodturning store website). 8 piece set shows $179 in my cart.
    Sorry link not working - go to their site pick hand tools, woodturning tools, turning tool sets, then look for the 8-piece set.