Thread: Paint & rust removal with Makita angle grinder?

Paint & rust removal with Makita angle grinder?

I picked up a like new Makita 4.5" angle grinder (model #9557) last year at a garage sale. I've never used an angle grinder before buying this one. I've only used a cutoff wheel to but some cattle pen fencing. I have a Makita cordless drill with some 2.5"-4" wire wheels and brushes (both steel and brass) that I'm using to remove rust and paint from some toolboxes/cabinets. I'm not real happy with how long it's taking. I feel I could make this a much quicker job using the angle grinder with a wire wheel brush. In reading the instruction manual for the grinder, it appears this is possible. I googled wire wheel and all I see are the twisted wire wheels. I'm worried these might be too aggressive. So...finally my questions...what do people use with their angle grinders to remove rust and paint on old toolboxes/tool cabinets? Again, I'm not seeing any wire brush wheels that aren't twisted for angle grinders. If you use them what do you use and where do you buy them? Any help/guidance would be much appreciated.

My son is a welder/fabricator and they use "flap wheels" which is basically course sandpaper in a disc. You can buy them at any welding supply shop, which will also have the wire wheels, cup brushes, etc. They're probably cheaper online, but if you want them today, go to a welding supply.

They do make un-twisted ones:
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...SABEgKShPD_BwE

But I don't think you'll find the twisted ones to be too aggressive. Any type of wire wheel does a pretty good job removing rust/paint without affecting the underlying metal. Using a wire wheel in an angle grinder will be MUCH faster than in your drill.

Flap wheels are excellent, too - if anything, I think they are more aggressive than any sort of wire wheel, and can be used to re-shape (for instance, flattening a weld bead). But if you use a light touch, they could also just remove rust/paint. I would definitely recommend spending the ~$5 to get one and try it out. Even the BORGs have a good assortment of flap disks to choose from.

Blog Entries
    Hi Mike, I just finished stripping and repainting my 70 Chevy truck.... some places had 5 layers. I used everything from chemical strippers, twisted wire wheels in a grinder, and aggressive stripping disks (heavy duty scotch bright type disks for the angle grinder from harbor freight) depending on the type of paint one of these three may work better than the other. The stripping disks work really well or not at all, at this point I try them first before going to one of the other methods.
    Andrew Gibson
    Program Manger and Resident Instructor
    Florida School Of Woodwork

I have a toolbox full of angle grinder stuff- from cut off wheels to cup brushes. Depends on the job for what to use. I mainly use my grinders for machine restoration. I like this kit from HF:
    https://m.harborfreight.com/power-to...kit-90976.html
    I’m also a big fan of the Norton RapidStrip for paint removal.
    For shining up metal and removing light rust, attach some scotchbrite pads to the crimped wire cup brush - as I mentioned in your other thread.

My son just got home and he confirmed a flap disc is more aggressive, but they don't use them for grinding welds. Anyway, he said he'd use a knotted wire wheel, not a cup brush, to get the paint and heavy rust off and then use a scotch brite disc for the deeper rust. The wire wheels that aren't knotted are low RPM as the individual wires tend to fly out.

He says the relatively low RPM of your drill is why it's so slow.
    Last edited by Ted Derryberry; 01-31-2018 at 5:27 PM.

I bought a sanding attachment at the orange box store. Was going to get a flap disc wheel but decided to wait and see how that sanding disc worked. I think I used this grinder one time since I bought it. So it was a very pleasant surprise when I opened the toolbag it's in that I have a Makita 4.5" wire wheel that came with it. I'd forgotten it was there. It works exactly like I was hoping it would!

I still need to figure out if I can buy and use wheels and discs with a 7/8" arbor hole with this Makita grinder with a 5/8" arbor.

Thank you everyone for the responses.

One of the washer/nuts should have a shoulder on it that allows it to work with about any 4-1/2" wheel/disk made. There are soft wire wheels that fit it. I use them for final finish on old siding after the paint is removed. I use a full hood, supplied air when using it though. I think I just bought them off Amazon, and tried several before I found some that I liked.

For fast paint removal off metal, it's hard to beat a 15 amp side grinder with a twisted wire cup, but it's a real workout.

Flap wheels come in a variety of sandpaper grits. You can almost get a polish with a fine one, but it cuts slowly.

I use the wire wheels all the time and like them BUT- pieces of the wire will come off when you use either the cheap or good wire wheels.And while using it watch the rotation of the grinder when it comes in contact with an edge.Go at the edge with the rotation going away from the edge and not against the edge.Wear safety glasses and don't let someone stand around watching and not wearing safety glasses.I think you will find that wire wheels will be good for some areas and flap type wheels will be good in other areas and maybe just some plain old sanding disk Only reason I am saying all this that it sounds like you have never use a angle grinder to much.The safer angle grinders have the paddle switch instead of the toggle type.If something should happen while using the grinder with the paddle switch all you have to do is release your hand off the paddle but the other you have to reach the switch and turn it off.On commercial jobs(I been told) OSHA will not allow angle grinders without the paddle switch due to the safety.Yes I have both and use both,but I pay attention and being very cautious
    Last edited by Carroll Courtney; 01-31-2018 at 7:21 PM.

I used to use flap disks for years to remove the mill finish and any paint off metal parts. But last year I discovered mesh disks. And my research showed that they are the choice by professionals to remove rust and paint, even on wood surfaces, because they do not clog up like flap disks and they do not abrade the actual metal surface which would especially be important if working with thin metal. They also work faster than flap disks.

I've had pretty good luck using cheaper brands and there are a lot of manufacturers that make them. Here is an example of what I'm talking about: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...pd_rd_wg=62xrQ