Thread: Is Lacquer Colored? Base then Clear? How?

Is Lacquer Colored? Base then Clear? How?

i recently finished my childrens table and chair set.. I sprayed with Hallman-Lyndsay Aqua Alkyd latex and am happy with the color and sheen. My friend told me to try lacquer next time... i have a few questions dont laugh... my expereince with lacquer was years ago when i painted a few cars...

1-does lacquer come in colors? OR do you pick then paint your base then put clear lacquer over it?

2-is it like automotive lacquer where i use different thinners based on the ambient temps?

3- How do i prepare bare wood for lacquer? What type of primer?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

There are colored "lacquer" products in both solvent based and water borne. The latter includes products like Target Coatings EM6500 which is available in any BM or SW tint directly from Target. (I actually just bought a gallon tinted to the desired color for replacement upper cabinets in our kitchen) The reason I put "lacquer" in quotes is that the water borne products are all acrylics, but some, like the referenced product, have lacquer like properties, such as burn-in, without the great health risk during application. Since they are 100% acrylics, they are generally better for durability over any kind of common paint products. Solvent based lacquer products require a proper spray environment to apply for both personal physical safety and shop safety. The solvents are dangerous and ignitable. Unless you have the right environment for spraying them, my recommendation is to stick with water borne products...they are very good these days, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Lacquer is available in both clear and tints. Tinted colours are not quite as opaque as paint.

Yes, you can get different thinners for different ambient conditions. Some manufacturers have slow medium and fast, others have a standard thinners and a retarder that you add as you want to.

Every manufacturer will have their own recommended primer system. With clears, you can use the lacquer all the way from the start or you can use a recommended sanding sealer. Coloured lacquers usually have a recommended primer system. Find a manufacturer on the internet and read some technical data sheets. I can't tell you who because I am in Australia and have different products available. To give you an idea of the information available, look up Pylon Coatings website. They are Australian products but the site is straightforward and will tell you the type of information to look for locally. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Thanks guys! I took a trip to my local AMish cabinet shop cause i absolutely love the way they paint their kitchen cabinet doors. The young lad i spoke to showed me a can of white primer, he puts under his White lacquer that he adds a "catalyst" to. I think this is a lil beyond my skill level right now, but at least i know how they are doing it! my only question is i wonder since the lacquer is so hard if it chips easy?

Thanks again! :-)
    Ridgid R4513 jobsite saw, Ridgid R4512 Table saw, Ridgid JP601 jointer/planer,
    Jet DC-1100VX-CK Dust collector, Bosch 1617 EVSPK router, Bosch RA1181 router table, Rikon 10-326 Band saw
    Dewalt 735 planer, Fuji Q5Platinum HVLP,

Chipping can result if the applied coating is too thick or too brittle. My rule for polishing timber is to put on the minimum required to protect and enhance the job, This is different for a benchtop and, say, a mantle clock. The different end use dictates a different amount and type of finish but always the objective is to put on the right amount of the right product so the job is protected but the finish won't chip off too readily. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.