Thread: Mr Wolfe's Roubo inspired hybrid workbench

Mr Wolfe's Roubo inspired hybrid workbench

IMG_20180117_111834.jpg
    This is my first major wood project aside from a few small hardwood boxes and some picture frames. I’ve spent about 150 hours over a period of 5 weeks making this piece. My budget was about $200 on wood (I had the oak), $150 on the vises, the rail and hardware, and about $100 on bench dogs, bench hooks/holdfasts, inline clamps. The coolest part was the glue up where I was able to use the vises to help glue up the legs, vise cheeks and some of the other parts. I’ve already used it many times since I finished it in January.
    It is NOT traditional and I’m not a master woodworker. Its hybrid because I picked and chose what elements I wanted to incorporate in it.

IMG_20180117_112028.jpg IMG_20180117_112547.jpg IMG_20180117_111939.jpg

There were many lessons along the way, many which were how NOT to do certain things. I used a very affordable and effective face vise and end vise instead of wagon vises, leg vices, shoulder vises, moxon vises or even the quick release face vises that are available. I’ve learned a lot while making this bench and used many techniques I’ve learned about on this site and youtube. I built it out of yellow pine with cedar, mesquite, poplar and some oak that I had on hand. The cabinet, drawers and sliding deadman were afterthoughts that I really enjoyed making. The bench looked kind of naked without those elements... and of course, I really needed the storage space.

IMG_20180117_114358.jpg IMG_20180111_180610.jpg IMG_20180111_120034.jpg

Yeah… I know that the finish may get scratched or dinged but I have a 24 inch by 60 inch piece of black rubber mat that fits the top and some smaller pieces fitted to match the vise jaws to cut down on the inevitable scratches. I already know that some day I will refinish the top… an hour to remove the finish and a half day or so to refinish it. I welcome the battle scars and badges of honor that come with use.
    Everything I did on this piece was the first attempt (and sometimes the second or third too after the first) at techniques I had not tried before. There has been lots of happy accidents along the way and I am very pleased with the end result.

IMG_20180117_112746.jpg

I have found that power tools are great for some operations/steps but I am shifting towards hand tools now in a very big way. They are so much quieter, no need to wear ear protection/earmuffs all day, no sawdust so no goggles or a respirator and shavings are so much easier to clean. They often are as fast or faster and offer more control and are a real joy to use. Its nice to be able to listen to music or an audio book while working rather than the roar of power tools.
    I am also very excited about building my own tools, jigs and shop furniture.

One bad point though is I have a new Ebay addiction for hand planes >=(

Anyway… I’m looking forward to some feedback aside from the criticisms that I’ve already acknowledged.
    It is finished except for some inlay I will put on one dovetail joint to cover some chipping that happened during assembly… it was a bit too tight. I've learned what I am good at and what I really need to work on.

There are more photos of the bench at my photobucket page and my pinterest page if you would like to see more details.
    Feel free to ask any questions about this piece.
    Thanks for looking.
    Jon Wolfe

I like it. I would not want my bench to be that color but I do think it's cool. If you ever do commission work your customer will be impressed that's always good.
    Aj

Nice bench Mr. Wolfe!
    I like the modern industrial color.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Well done! The color works for me; so does the yellow pine.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Very nice. And I like that you can take it off-roading! (...first time I've seen a bench with 'rock rails'.)

Seriously, that's an imaginative selection for the deadman's bottom slider. Perhaps it's just my sheltered life showing, but have honestly never seen such. I like it!

That is truly a beautiful bench. And a bench design is a personal thing...I'm glad you made it the way you wanted it to be for the kind of work you like to do. That's what counts the most and is the "true tradition" when it comes to things like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thanks everyone!
    It is already getting a lot of use in my shop. Now that I have a bench I find myself doing so much more hand tool work.

Malcolm.... I repurposed a handrail/grab bar for the sliding deadman rail. I hadn't seen anything like it either. It doubles as foot rail for when I break out the whiskey and cigars I keep in the cabinet.
    >=)
    Only after I've finished a project of course.
    Thanks for the warm welcome here.
    Jon

It is a stunning and unique bench. I’m seeing more Shaker influence that Ruobo though the grab bar/ foot rail certainly gives it a one of a kind style. I can relate to the eBay addiction. Go slow on the hand plane acquisitions. Save some money for handsaws and chisels. Then you will be motivated to make a matching Tool Cabinet. With the creativity you’ve shown on this bench, I can’t wait to see your take on a plane till or tool cabinet.

Love the bench, Jon! Very inventive. Nice form and good function...can’t ask for much more. Benches are kind of like a new car. After the first ding, it just starts to become a good friend with a few character flaws
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 01-31-2018 at 11:43 PM.

Thanks Joe and Phil,
    Very encouraging words. yes... trying to slow down on planes but I did just get an old backsaw and saw set. Its a Geo H. Bishop adjustable back saw/tenon saw. You can change the height of the "back" which is really a split bar with a bolt that lets you set a depth stop for dados and tenons. I had never seen one before. Going to restore it and try my hand at sharpening. I think it is a great hand tool for the bench.

Geo H Bishop adjustable tenon saw.jpg

I am careful with the bench but I think of dings and scratches as battle scars!
    Still careful tho.
    Jon
    Last edited by Jon Wolfe; 01-31-2018 at 8:21 PM.

I can see the Shaker influence now Joe. I did a lot of research online and looked at many benches that came up with the search terms "Roubo workbench". I decided not to make a split top bench but used many of the elements I saw on those benches. "Shaker workbench" as a search term shows a lot of benches with cabinets beneath the workbenches.
    thanks

12. Fantastic!!!! I like the modern touch’s. Very well done