Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Table Saw Value?

Craftsman Table Saw Value?

Can anyone tell me how much this table saw is worth. It is available locally, and the seller is asking $550. I feel like this is overpriced, but not sure. I researched the model number (152.221140) but couldn't seem to find a definitive value. Any help is greatly appreciated.
    27544680_10204531232717949_1860121266213124246_n.jpg27498073_10204540421787670_332917673_n.jpg

Seems high to me. Personally I've never been a Craftsman fan, particularly because of the non-standard miter slot.

You should be able to find an older Uni-saw with a low end fence for $550.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    Seems high to me. Personally I've never been a Craftsman fan, particularly because of the non-standard miter slot.

You should be able to find an older Uni-saw with a low end fence for $550.
    Thanks for the response. If I can't find anything better, what would be an acceptable price for the Craftsman in your opinion?

Blog Entries
    I will be honest...... I wouldn't consider buying that saw.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Saw one go for $350 locally a few weeks ago. I don't recall if it had a mobile base or not.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Von Bickley View Post
    I will be honest...... I wouldn't consider buying that saw.
    Why is that? Keep in mind, I am only looking for a saw to do small projects with.

Price seems high, here in so Cal. saws like that sell for less.

I own that saw and it is a decent hybrid saw. Some people refer to these as zip code saws. They seem to be fairly well regarded. When I bought mine maybe 15 years ago list was about $700 but I paid about $500 on sale. I would maybe go $350 for that one. I did not like the fence and replaced it with a Biesmeyer type fence. The miter slot is standard sized - I use an Incra miter gauge and Dubby taper jig without issue.

Mark could verify this but I think the trunnions are cabinet mounted so are much easier to align and keep aligned than table mounted trunnions. There's no motor sticking out the back so it takes less space to store. Some zip codes saws came with Biesmeyer fences, this one does not.

I had that saw several years ago and I only paid $600 for it. Not bad for a hybrid saw. Never had any issues with it. But Sears doesn't carry it anymore according to their website and back then their customer service was in Canada. But, they were very good when I dealt with them. just be aware that any issues/parts may end up with an out of country origin.

I currently own this saw and it is one of the better Sears table saws IMHO. Overall would call it a middle of the road saw in quality. The main limit is that the motor could have been a little larger. It is fine for most things but is at the limit for hardwoods over 5/4 even with a thin kerf blade. If you use a sharp, clean blade you will be fine.

Yes, it is easy to adjust table alignment as the trunnions are cabinet mounted.

The miter gauge slot is standard size.

Dust collection is pretty good if you have or make a chute for the bottom of the cabinet.

Robert

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    My 113 model Craftsman Saw with cast iron top has a standard size miter slot.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Thank you all very much. This has helped me make an educated decision. Hopefully the seller will come down some on the price.

Sorry, I didn't realize Craftsman saws had switched to standard slots. I still think its overpriced and you could get a better saw for $550.

The 22114 was the middle entry of the popular "zip code" saws. It sold new typically in the $600-$800 range. They were made by Steel City/Orion and featured fairly stout cabinet mounted trunnions. This one has solid 12" cast iron wings and will weigh near 385#. I owned the next model up, 22124 with the Biese fence, for 3 years prior to buying my Shop Fox 3hp cabinet saw, and loved it. The 22114 has a lesser fence and a good track record, but I think $550 is pretty steep for it.

Last edited by scott spencer; 01-31-2018 at 10:32 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....