Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Need your thoughts on this saw

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    Bad choice. The other saw is way better.
    I agree. The 771 is a big step down but, we all make our own decisions for our own reasons.

I got the G1023RLX (right side extension so wider cuts can be done)right after the redesign to add true riving knife (compliance with law). Love the saw. I agree with Glenn, the 771 is a huge stepdown. No question, if given the choice, I would go for the used 1023.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bad choice. The other saw is way better.
    Care to elaborate on why?

To be clear, I haven't decided to get the 7071Z but rather pointing out that the Craigslist saw was priced too close to the new saw to be of any great value.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    Care to elaborate on why?...
    The new one is a glorified contractors saw. The used one is a cabinet saw. No comparison. The tiny bit of rust will scrub right off.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

The G1023RLWX is a full step up in class of saw. A fair analogy IMHO would to be compare a new Chevy S10 to a slightly used top end Silverado. Everything about it is heavier duty. It has a better fence, much heavier duty underpinnings, more than twice the power, much more mass, a router table, and can be demonstrated to run well. Both are capable saws, and Grizzly is a reputable company who stands behind their products, but there are no guarantees that the G0771Z (or any new saw) won't have some issues to deal with when it arrives. The rust shown on the used saw looks very minor and should clean off easily (the seller should have cleaned it up first) ....the listing says its in great shape, no mention of any problems.

The pic below is of the guts of one of the Shop Fox hybrids, which should be pretty close to the G0771Z:

Compare that to the guts of the G1023RL:
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-02-2018 at 1:49 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

ss--good post.

The new one is a glorified contractors saw. The used one is a cabinet saw. No comparison. The tiny bit of rust will scrub right off.
    Thanks. That makes sense. What would be a good price for the 1023?

See more of my confusion here - https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....99#post2773099

Half the price of new is a good starting point. So looks like it sells for about $1600 new, so the seller priced it pretty good. If I were in your shoes I’d offer $600 and hope to settle at $700, though $800 is fair. I agree that this saw is a huge step up from the hybrid saw.

That being said, personally I’d prefer an old Unisaw to fix up, but it sounds like fixing up may not be your wheelhouse.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Half the price of new is a good starting point. So looks like it sells for about $1600 new, so the seller priced it pretty good. If I were in your shoes I’d offer $600 and hope to settle at $700, though $800 is fair. I agree that this saw is a huge step up from the hybrid saw.

That being said, personally I’d prefer an old Unisaw to fix up, but it sounds like fixing up may not be your wheelhouse.
    Its not a matter of my wheelhouse.

The $800 will be at the top of my budget. Then I have to add a 230v circuit to my garage. My wife ain't going to understand why I have to spend more money just to use the saw I just spent $800 on.

Then be patient and find a good deal on a Unisaw.

I agree with Andy. Way better saw for the same money.

Its not a matter of my wheelhouse.

The $800 will be at the top of my budget. Then I have to add a 230v circuit to my garage. My wife ain't going to understand why I have to spend more money just to use the saw I just spent $800 on.
    I don't know your workshop configuration, but adding 240v could be 30 bucks if you're a competent do it yourselfer and need the outlet a few feet from the breaker box. In any case, it shouldn't be all that much, and the 800 is asking, not necessarily what you will to pay after negotiation.
    I

I need to price the 220V addition then visit the guy and see how firm he is on the price. 220 may be cheaper than I expect.

There are no Unisaws in my area on craigslist except for an obvious Delta contractor saw that someone has listed as a Unisaw.

The key phrase in my post was to “be patient”. A cheap Unisaw isn’t going to appear the minute you decide that’s what you want. You need to diligently watch CL for one and it might take months or a year or two. If you want to buy a saw now, I think you should negotiate with the seller of the Grizzly soon or it will slip through your fingers. I understand you need to figure how much a 220V line would cost but that’s not hard, and if you feel you can’t come up with a number easily then ask a friend with more experience.

A rule of thumb is if you have to ask if it’s a good deal, it’s probably sold and gone by the time you get an answer.

And if and when you do buy it, there are lots of threads on here about how to move a cabinet saw that you can find with the search function.

I need to price the 220V addition then visit the guy and see how firm he is on the price...
    I would jump on the used saw, which is priced very fairly, before someone else does.