Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need your thoughts on this saw

Need your thoughts on this saw

This G1023RLWX just popped up on Craigslist. I would like to have your opinions on this. I am concerned with the 8" left and 26" right cutting capacity. Not sure if it will be limiting or not for general woodworking. I don't have 240 in my garage but that can be remedied. I'm also worried that the rust would be a problem.

[FONT=Bitstream Vera Serif][SIZE=3]left tilting: does that mean it tilts away from the fence when the fence is in the normal position to the right of the blade. Want to make sure I'm not getting this confused.

/jacksonville.craigslist.org/tls/d/grizzly-g1023rlwx-10-5-hp/6475866354.html"
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-30-2018 at 6:38 PM. Reason: Direct links to CL are not allowed.

I've never owned one, but that saw is well-regarded by many. It has a proven track record. The limits on rip capacity are created by the length of the fence rails. If you need greater capacity, longer rails are available from Grizzly. Personally, I rarely need more than 24" rip capacity.

Left tilt does indeed mean that the blade tilts to the left when viewed from the normal operating position (tilts away from the fence when the fence is to the right of the blade).

How hard is it to get the rust out of that saw top?

I have used " non-woven hand pads" with and wire brush on an angle grinder. Just use enough pressure to to hold pad. When clean use Johnson paste wax to seal.

That’s VERY light surface rust. First use a razor blade to scrape off as much as you can. Depending on what tools you have, a ROS with scotch brite pads or angle grinder with cup wheel and scotch brite pad will take the rest right off.

Looks to be in good condition. It’s basically a Unisaw copy from Chiwan. $800 is an okay price.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post

Looks to be in good condition. It’s basically a Unisaw copy from Chiwan. $800 is an okay price.
    I have one and love it. It has a 5 hp motor so you need a 30 amp feed to get a full 5HP out of it.

It is NOT really a unisaw copy. The mechanism for blade tilt and elevation is a different design. It also uses a serpentine belt, rather than three matched V belts.

The G0690 series is more similar to the unisaw.

I would not hesitate to buy again if given a second chance. I did transfer my Delta Unifence with 52” rails to the Grizzly, so I cannot comment on the fence that came with the saw.

If you do a search of this site I believe you will turn up some detailed info on the G1023 series saws.

Bill
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to look into how much it would cost to add a 230V circuit to my garage as that has to be considered.I think there is rom on the panel. I'll also need to add in a mobile base.

That's a nice saw with a modern riving knife, and a vertical thread and dovetail ways on the blade height mechanism. You can easily slide the front rail over by one bolt hole to gain nearly 10" more rip capability. Just slide the front rail on the bracket, replace with one less bolt, and replace or relocate the measuring tape.

Last edited by scott spencer; 01-31-2018 at 10:44 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Am I reading the specs correctly that it's 5hp? That's a bonus.

Scott, am I reading correctly that this saw has a splitter, not a riving knife? {edit: sorry, the picture on the website is different from the manual, which says it DOES contain a riving knife. }

OP: I'd double check that your version comes with a true riving knife.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 01-31-2018 at 11:00 AM.

The older Grizzly G1023"S" series, which was a Unisaw clone, had a splitter. The newer G1023"R" series has a riving knife.

Last edited by scott spencer; 01-31-2018 at 11:39 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

+1 on the approach Matt suggests for initial surface rust removal with a razor. I then use 3m pads under a block of wood flushed with mineral spirits and lots of rags. Wax when done.

That price is (in my opinion) just OK ... about a 50% discount on list. Even with the 5hp (only a $50 premium at Grizzly) I'd think there is some flexibility in that price. I did a quick search on the Jacksonville CL and there are other deals to be had including that wonderful Felder K700 for $1500.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Marshall,

If you need clamps, maybe he could sweeten the deal. He can't just leave them on the floor when you buy the saw...

Good
    luck, looks like a great saw!

Ed

I own the 3hp version. Love it. All a hobby woodworker ever needs. The price is about half of a new one delivered to your door. If the previously mentioned methods for rust remove don't work, try rustoleum rust dissolver. It works but not sure if it will leave a stain.

It has a riving knife.

Man! I don't understand how someone can pay all that money for a nice tool and let it go like that! Keep the dust off and keep it waxed and it won't look like that.
    Last edited by tom lucas; 02-01-2018 at 10:39 AM.

Thanks for all the input. Much appreciated.

I have decided to pass on this saw. I can get the Grizzly G70771Z for $845 + shipping and it runs on 120V. New saw, no rust, a warranty and no electrical work necessary. Not enough price difference to go with a used saw that may or may not have problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall K Harrison View Post
    ...I have decided to pass on this saw. I can get the Grizzly G70771Z for $845 + shipping...
    Bad choice. The other saw is way better.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."