Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Stove in a Wooden woodworking shop?

In my old shop, I had an outdoor forced-air wood burning furnace. It was great. Keeps the mess outside and a fill up in the morning kept the shop warm all day, and very safe. It's a Bryan outdoor wood furnace. In my new shop, I have radiant floor heating with a propane fired boiler. I do not have it up and running yet though. I did re-install the Bryan furnace in my new shop with the plan being to keep the shop at a constant 45-50 deg. with the radiant system, and when I'm in the woodworking side of the shop, to build a fire in the Bryan, in the morning like I did in my old shop. That should easily bring the temp up to 60-65 while I work all day. When I cut my wood, I stack it on caged pallets. I keep my pallets covered until each one gets parked 3 ft from the furnace.

2. I grew up out in the country where we heated with coal and wood. In the kitchen was a coal/wood cook stove and the other end of the house was the "Warm Morning" coal burner. I now live in a small town and still have that same coal furnace in my shop where it burns wood. I mounted a box fan to the ceiling so it circulates the air and heat. Love the heat. Jim.

I have been in so many places where I wanted to put a wood stove, but knew that if one was installed I would be doing a doe-see-doe with the stove every time I tried to walk through the space. 14x40, it would just take up to much space. Get some cardboard and lay it out for the unit and clearances and walk around for a bit before going ahead with it. Oh, and because it is a doe-see-doe, you have to fold your arms and do it backwards.

Eric

We've been heating our house with a wood stove for 30+ years, and I really like it.
    I have thought many times about putting a wood stove in my garage shop, but just never could get it to work really well in my head. The clearances required for fire code and moving around it, along with the chimney and thimble specs to install it properly, just don't work for me. I know how dry our house can get on certain days in winter, so the variations in humidity are a negative also. The cost is not small, at least not here in Connecticut, to do it properly and not risk burning down your shop. There is also the mess that goes with burning wood.
    I've been looking at putting in a propane heat system lately, because I really would like to work in the garage shop during the winter. With the advantage of zero clearance heat panels, outside air collection and venting, the shop environment would stay consistent. They're also not really that expensive. Propane is, but it wouldn't have to run all the time.
    I've also tossed around the idea of a pellet stove for the shop. The clearances are less, and the thimble piece, and chimney, is much less expensive than putting a triple walled, insulated, stove pipe thimble through the wall, and the chimney sections. Pellet stoves gather air from outside, which is a benefit for shop environment.

I love my QuadraFire 5700 in the house, but a wood stove in the shop just doesn't work for me no matter how hard I've tried to make it. The Chimney and Thimble have been big stumbling blocks for me.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-10-2018 at 7:24 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Mike, I would suggest if you go propane that your look at the Rinnai Energysaver Direct Vent wall furnaces. You don't say how large the shop is or its insulation value, so I can't recommend a size. Modulating gas valve and blower, quiet, cool to the touch, 2.5" hole for vent for sealed combustion. Programmable stat built in, low profile, and absolutely bullet-proof. As well, everything to install it is in the box for a straight out the back install. If it takes more than two hours to set and trim the unit you are sleep walking. They are not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

I'm new here, so I need to list a disclaimer. I was the Rinnai Manuf Rep in New England from '91-'11 when we sold the business and chased the kids west. I still work with Rinnai on a consulting basis...until 3/31/18 and then I am done. I have heated my homes, garages, shops and basements with them since '91. It is the best heating appliance I've seen in 55 yrs in the business.

Jack

Right now there is no insulation. I just threw a vapor barrier and sheetrock up on the walls years ago. The "shop" are currently an "L" two 19'x9' spaces that meet as an "L".
    I never intended to want to do wood working through the winter, but it's happening. I plan to pull all the sheet rock down and insulate the walls and ceilings, as well as frame out the corner that used to have a green house built into it.
    I think that Rinnai may have been the model(s) I was looking at. I know the folks at work that have their on demand water heaters have been very pleased with them.
    I have propane at the house already for the indoor appliances, so it wouldn't be a big deal to pipe a line to the garage, or just set another bottle in back for the garage..
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Here in California pellet stoves are pretty much all gone. Propane or NG is cheaper to run and nothing much to wear out, jam or clog. Also pellet stoves require 120 ac.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Aside from the safety and other considerations that folks have already expressed, a single "passive" heat source for a space that's almost like a small bowling ally (14' wide but 40' long) may not be very efficient from the standpoint of heat distribution. It would most certainly need to be located in the middle for best results which is going to impact how the space is used for woodworking. If your insurance and local jurisdiction permits wood stoves, then the decision comes down to the practicality for the given space and your comfort with heating with that method.
    A wood stove at the end of the "bowling alley" might work well with a ceiling mounted air cleaner to help circulate the air.
    Steve

I also have a Rinnai in my uninsulated garage in Colorado and will probably put one in my soon to be built detached shop plus a wood stove.

The Rinnai works very well, heats the garage quickly, and IIRC does not have the exposed burner elements that would have been a problem with various solvent fumes and wood dust in the garage. Plus maybe ok for spray finished but not sure about that.