Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Stove in a Wooden woodworking shop?

Wood Stove in a Wooden woodworking shop?

So, I'm a little late for this winter, but I would like to put a wood stove in my shop. The shop is a wooden portable shed about 14x40. Is a wood stove safe to use in a wood shop with all the sawdust and shavings? One of the stoves I was looking at was the 55 gallon barrel stove kit. Does anyone else use a wood stove in their shops?

Eric

I have a wood burner in my shop, steel chimney. My shop floor is concrete. The Stove is located on a wooden stand, about 24-26" off the floor. I have a layer of cement board between the stove legs and the wafer board on top of the legs/stand. I also have cement board on the walls near the stove (2 - sits in a corner).

My shop is 30x40, and I've been able to get the temp up in to the 70's. There is just something about wood heat that no other fuel can match.

Hope this helps

PS: A fire extinguisher hangs on the wall by the stove, and a 2nd one on the wall by the exit door.
    Last edited by Jim Laumann; 01-30-2018 at 5:55 PM. Reason: Added the PS

If your shop is insured or you are also thinking about insuring it, discuss this with your insurance carrier. When I had my detached shop built, my insurance carrier wanted to know if it was heated and what was the heat source. From what I recall, either a wood burning stove in a wood structure had a much higher premium, or my carrier would not insure it.
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 01-30-2018 at 8:40 PM.

In California many days and nights no wood burning is allowed here, due to the tule fog.. I mounted mine on a stack of cinder blocks with a piece of drywall on top then set ceramic tile on top. The wall covering is hardi panel to match the existing masonite paneling from the 70's. The hardi panel was actually the closet match I could find in any kind of paneling.
    I use four computer case fans to blow warm air into the living room. They are run off a doorbell transformer with a thermostat. They are run at about 11.5 volts as a balance of noise and air flow. I have to use a capacitor to jump start them.
    The tile on the sides is silicone caulked on as a trial. It has held fine for about ten years. The top tile is just held by gravity.
    Bill D

I have been heating my shop with wood for 30 years, a natural choice since we have a woodlot. I had to search a bit to find an insurer that was agreeable (Merchant's). More laborious than other heat sources and requires storage area but takes care of drops. Keep it clean, respect your neighbors and maintain your fire extinguishers. I have a wood floor over a slab with a concrete "island" under and around the wood stove. Depending on your location a heat pump may be a better investment and perhaps safer.

I certainly would not go with a barrel stove conversion. At best they are a fire hazard. I have a steel plate modern air tight wood stove. Works well and is not a major fire hazard.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I heat my 20 X 24' shop with a small wood burner. It's certainly possible to do it safely, but you do have to pay attention to clearances and keep the stove area clear of debris and dust. I'd also keep a general purpose fire extinguisher close by (which you should have in a shop anyway) - a less driven home to me last weekend when I carelessly violated the "clear of debris and dust" rule I just articulated, and briefly had a small fire outside the woodstove as a result.

They require a lot of space so keep that in mind.
    Don

Quote Originally Posted by Don Jarvie View Post
    They require a lot of space so keep that in mind.
    Exactly, space sacrifice it you have a small shop. We burn our wood fire place every night in our home, would love to a small wood stove in the shop but not willing to sacrifice the space.

How about one of those outside fire units with a radiator and fan inside. Seems much safer to me.
    Bill D

When I was a kid, a double-barrel stove was the main source of heat for the living room and kitchen area. We had space heaters for the bedrooms, and we had several close calls with those. The wood stove was seemingly less dangerous.

I have the same barrel wood stove in my shop, now. For wall and floor protection, I went to a big box store and got some cement panels(I forget what they're called) that are mostly used for showers.

I do think electric would be better, but I'd have to run some new romex out there.

If you do get barrels, be sure to set the whole thing up outside, first. Get a big, hot, extended fire going so the burning paint fumes don't overwhelm you.

The thing with burning firewood is that more than once I've picked up a log and said to myself, "That's a nice, dense, dark piece with minimal cracks, I can't burn that." So I have a stack going of wood that I'll theoretically resaw and use for something when I get a suitable bandsaw.

Blog Entries
    My father heated his detached wood shop for years with a wood stove. He had a commercially built wood stove built for heating with a fire brick lining. He had a small fan to circulate the heat around the shop. I would not recommend a barrel type heater as the steel in barrels is pretty thin. Dad's shop was always toasty warm and if he filled it with wood and turned down the air inlet it would maintain heat in the shop all night.

It also is a good way to take care of mistakes.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    My father heated his detached wood shop for years with a wood stove. He had a commercially built wood stove built for heating with a fire brick lining. He had a small fan to circulate the heat around the shop. I would not recommend a barrel type heater as the steel in barrels is pretty thin. Dad's shop was always toasty warm and if he filled it with wood and turned down the air inlet it would maintain heat in the shop all night.

It also is a good way to take care of mistakes.
    Same here. Minus the fire brick lining. We always had plenty of kindling.... Many days in the winter we'd have the doors open because it would get too hot.

The downside to it compared to electric or gas though is consistency and the space requirement mentioned above. These days I like my shop better regulated to minimize wood movement during a build.

I've been using a Fisher Baby Bear wood stove for 20 years+. No problems! They take up space, I place a sheet of metal (roofing) so I could get it closer to the wall. Use a 1" piece of metal scrap
    for a stand off to accomplish this. Biggest complaint from me is the cleaning of ash.
    I pay NO higher insurance premiums for having said stove---I also heat the house with wood. I have been told that additional premiums were at one time added to wood stoves-not in my state
    or Minnesota-I'm sure of this.

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Aside from the safety and other considerations that folks have already expressed, a single "passive" heat source for a space that's almost like a small bowling ally (14' wide but 40' long) may not be very efficient from the standpoint of heat distribution. It would most certainly need to be located in the middle for best results which is going to impact how the space is used for woodworking. If your insurance and local jurisdiction permits wood stoves, then the decision comes down to the practicality for the given space and your comfort with heating with that method.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...