Thread: Forrest dado set for Felder order

Angry Forrest dado set for Felder order

I ordered a new dado set for Felder machine from Forrest blades. Place an order Dec 26, last conversation today - still waiting for shims to be sized for 30 mm.
    If I knew - would just place an order from Felder for appropriate size dado and will be done with project I am waiting this set. Really disappointed.
    End of rant.

What is your experience with ordering from Forrest?
    Thank you, Ed.

Historically, I never had a problem with them, but I don't remember about lead times...it's been a number of years since I bought direct. Lately, I've been buying through Silver's Mill for a little better pricing. But I don't need special bores.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The full dado set from Felder is around $900.00. I know because I just pad $545 for half the set! I'll probably get the rest later, but this is in the range I need now.

Maybe that will make the wait feel worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eduard Nemirovsky View Post
    It requires patience. They are swamped. I ordered a 12" dado set, I bet it took three or four months to finally show up.

Which reminds me, I need to order another set.

I just ordered another dado set. I found the confirmation email, and the invoice. It took 2½ months last time. That was last year.

Got it.
    I have no problem to wait. I just got device after 18 month of waiting, but I knew from the start how long it will take.
    Personally I think it is a bad service not to warn about lead time. Why not just post on the site - if you want this - it will take 4-6 weeks. Simple and truthful.
    But again, thank you for sharing your experience.
    Ed.

Got it.
    I have no problem to wait. I just got device after 18 month of waiting, but I knew from the start how long it will take.
    Personally I think it is a bad service not to warn about lead time. Why not just post on the site - if you want this - it will take 4-6 weeks. Simple and truthful.
    But again, thank you for sharing your experience.
    Ed.
    I either called, or saw that they had a big lead time on their website.

With that said, they just invoiced me for the set that I ordered yesterday, so I'm guessing they'll ship that shortly. My guess is they had stock remaining from the last batch that I ordered from before. Who knows. They have a good product, and I'm not in a bind, so I don't care. My attitude is pretty relaxed on this one. The last one was a bit of a hassle for me though. I've got six dado sets in the shop, none fit the saw I set up in the new shop for dado-ing.

Kinda like Bryd saying 8 weeks and 11 months later they still don't have anything done yet.

I ordered a new dado set for Felder machine from Forrest blades. Place an order Dec 26, last conversation today - still waiting for shims to be sized for 30 mm.
    If I knew - would just place an order from Felder for appropriate size dado and will be done with project I am waiting this set. Really disappointed.
    End of rant.

Thank you, Ed.
    Hi Ed, no experience with Forrest however FS Tools normally ship in about a week on that sort of order.........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Hi Ed, no experience with Forrest however FS Tools normally ship in about a week on that sort of order.........Rod.
    I have a lot of FS Tool blades. There pretty good. I have two FS Tool dado sets. A 24 tooth, and a 40 tooth. The 24 just gets used in hardwood and is okay. The 40 tooth I bought for plywood, it's worthless. I don't know why. Lots of tearout even with scoring the material in a shallow climb cut. It does decently in melamine though.
    Also, if you use either with just the blades and no chippers, they rely on the chippers to have overlap, so you end up with a very thin ribbon of material that stays in the cut.

I'm perfectly happy with the other products I've gotten from them, but not with the limitations of the dado sets. Mine are both seven or eight years old as well, so the design may have been altered since then.

I ordered their 6" Dado King saw blade set drilled for my new Hammer K3 Winner on 9/29/2017. Cost was $387. On 10/3/2017 my order was complete and I received the set a few days later. Consider me happy, however it is kind of a pain to switch the dado set in and out.

Mine showed up today

Gene, if they seem tedious to change....you are probably doing it correctly. Much damage is done to dado sets by clanking them together.

Mine showing up just two days ago. Immediately start using - good quality cut on plywood.
    Ed.