Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to turning. Need help with log I.D. please.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    Sugarberry (hackberry) also has zigzag patterns like that.

ETA: oh, yeah, it's also the right color (though it'll be gray in a month) and the very thin "skin" of grey bark is also very consistent with hackberry. Also consistent is his inability to describe the bark beyond the color (it's a tough one!).

I'm going to guess it's sugarberry.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/person.../hackberry.htm
    Hé Bob, you got me there, yes Hackberry being a Elm related species does have the interlocking grain, very much like the other Elm species, and as you say the wood is much lighter in color, I have turned only a couple of Hackberry pieces, found the wood not attractive, seen pictures of spalted that did look much better.

The only Elm with a thin bark is the Lacebark Elm, AKA Chinese Elm, or branch and limbs of the other Elm, like Siberian Elm.
    Ulmus, Lacebark Elm.jpg

So yes you certainly might be right, that it is Hackberry, it being an Elm related species, I don’t know the difference between the Hackberry that grows here or the Sugar Berry, not sure I ever seen it.

I have always thought that any wood is a good wood to turn, at least to find what it looks like and how it stands up, one can haul there noses up to native grown wood, and have to turn imported tropical wood, I don’t think tropical forest have to be destroyed so we can make silly sticks etc from it, just the way I look at that.
    Last edited by Leo Van Der Loo; 02-03-2018 at 3:53 PM. Reason: added picture
    Have fun and take care