Thread: Dewalt Table Saw and dado stacks-

Blog Entries

Dewalt Table Saw and dado stacks-

Good day everyone:

I got rid of my contractor saw because (a) it rusted, thanks to me leaving it out in the rain-long story- and nothing was moving very well, and (b) I got a track saw, so I was going to downgrade to a more portable table saw now that he track saw took over much of the stuff I was doing on the table saw. I am VERY limited for space, by the way.

Well, the day has come that I wish I had a table saw, so I'm looking at the smaller portable saws. The main things I want to do are ripping strips in stock too small to use the track saw, and I would like to make box joints. The second is the problem. I understand that the Dewalt won't take dado stacks due to the short arbor. Can any owners tell me- is there ANY room for a small stack- like 1/4" to 3/8" for making box joints, or is there no room at all? I'm okay if it won't take a full dado stack, but if it could take enough for box joints it would sway me further to opening my wallet.

It is really a shame because this one is in stock at HD and I love everything about it except that it won't do dadoes. I can always use a router for those, but sure would rather have dado capability. I can order a Bosch and pay more for it, and also pay shipping, but that would really add to the cost only to add one feature.

Side question- Why doesn't Milwaukee make a table saw? Surely there is one on a drawing board somewhere.

Milwaukee traditionally made tools for the electrical trade. I wouldn't let an electrician use a table saw even if he wanted too!

I would guess they are just sticking to "tools" and staying away from "machines".

infinity sells a 1/4 flat grind box joint blade the saw plate should be just a bit narrower, i can't imagine that it would not work on the dewalt with a home made insert. I have not tried it, but have used my brother inlaws dewalt saw.

The ridged portable says it will work with a 6 in 3/4 wide dado stack.

I downsized a few years back and had to part with my good old Unisaw. I went the track saw route and it was a game changer, but I prefer to rip thin strips, face frames and mill dadoes on a table saw so I got the DeWalt 7491RS. It can easily take an 8" dado stack up to 13/16", and yes it can spin it too, although at a much slower feed rate. This model has provisions to set the miter slots parallel to the blade and likewise with the fence. I don't know how small you want to go, but this might be an option. I have been pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of this small saw and a crosscut sled, and aux fence that is longer and higher than the stock fence really open up many possibilities I never expected for the lowly job site saw. When folded it is quite compact and needs a footprint of 22"D x 25.5"W. I really don't know if the other Dewalt saws can take partial dadoes, but would it be possible to get a quick measurement of the arbor shaft length on a display model somewhere ?

Dewalt 7491 w Dado.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-30-2018 at 3:36 PM.
    Dick Mahany.

This is the main reason I opted for the Dewalt 7490 over the 7480.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Victor Robinson View Post
    This is the main reason I opted for the Dewalt 7490 over the 7480.
    Okay- so there is a difference in the saw itself between these models? I was trying to figure that out, and it looked like just same saw with a stand and/or a larger table, but I guess there are other differences as well. They are all rated for the same power, so I figured the same motor and internals but different add-ons.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    Milwaukee traditionally made tools for the electrical trade. I wouldn't let an electrician use a table saw even if he wanted too!

I would guess they are just sticking to "tools" and staying away from "machines".
    They are branching out now. They have a little of everything, including a compound miter saw, but not a table saw yet- lots of rumors, but nothing yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Herman View Post
    infinity sells a 1/4 flat grind box joint blade the saw plate should be just a bit narrower, i can't imagine that it would not work on the dewalt with a home made insert. I have not tried it, but have used my brother inlaws dewalt saw.

The ridged portable says it will work with a 6 in 3/4 wide dado stack.
    Good to know- thanks. I got rid of the Ridgid table saw. I'm looking for something without a stand. I could have gotten rid of just the stand, but since I let the saw get rained on and the carriage assembly (the part that tilts and lifts the blade) rusted really bad, I got rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    I downsized a few years back and had to part with my good old Unisaw. I went the track saw route and it was a game changer, but I prefer to rip thin strips, face frames and mill dadoes on a table saw so I got the DeWalt 7491RS. It can easily take an 8" dado stack up to 13/16", and yes it can spin it too, although at a much slower feed rate. This model has provisions to set the miter slots parallel to the blade and likewise with the fence. I don't know how small you want to go, but this might be an option. I have been pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of this small saw and a crosscut sled, and aux fence that is longer and higher than the stock fence really open up many possibilities I never expected for the lowly job site saw. When folded it is quite compact and needs a footprint of 22"D x 25.5"W. I really don't know if the other Dewalt saws can take partial dadoes, but would it be possible to get a quick measurement of the arbor shaft length on a display model somewhere ?

Dewalt 7491 w Dado.jpg
    Okay, so as I said above- it seems like there is a bigger difference between models than just stand/no stand, and size of table. This is good to know.

Here is the saw I am looking at getting. It is the ONLY one in stock at my local HD. We have a saying here- if you see something you want, you'd better get it, because they probably won't get it back in for a long time. They focus a lot on tile cutting saws versus table saws due to the construction methods here being more concrete and tile than wood. Yes- I know- you need wood forms to make concrete homes, but HD apparently doesn't realize that. :-)
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-1...745S/302033019

I got the DWE7490 about 6 months ago and couldn't be more pleased. I've had 13/16 dado stack on it but didn't use it, 3/4 in gave me the full three turns of the nut. The rack and pinion fence has worked great and it wasn't much trouble making the inserts for it. A big plus for me is the way the stand folds up.

I also have the DWE7491RS and love it. This is my first table saw, so I don't have experience with a full sized table saw to make a comparison, but I'm glad I chose this model as my first step in. I've had it for two years now and haven't run into any issues. I'm also short on space and love the fact that I can fold it up and roll it out of the way. It sits on the side of my garage with my DW735 planer and my DW715 chop saw and I can still fit two cars in the garage.

Malcolm, I have one of the DeWalt jobsite saws. Sorry, but, I don't remember the number. I use the Freud box joint blade set on it to make box joints. It works well. I also use the Incra I box jig.
    Joe