Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3HP table saw vs 5HP

I've never used a 5hp, so I may not know what I'm missing, but it's hard to imagine ever wanting more than 3hp. That jump from 1.75hp to 3hp was huge. My 3hp rarely even slows enough to notice. It just hogs through everything and is much less sensitive to the blade that's in place. On the other hand, for the difference in price of a new saw, if you have the electrical supply to handle it, more power is rarely a bad thing.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    5 hp or larger is appropriate for a 12-16" saw due to greater depth of cut and much heavier internal build than what is usually found on a 10" saw. If I felt I needed the full 5 hp I'd also want the heavier build. Dave
    I wish my Northfield had a bigger motor. Pushing hard dado-ing with a 12" head, I can bog it down pretty easily.

I'm certainly in the minority here on this subject, but I feel 5hp is the minimum on a 10" table saw. If I'm really hammering and trying to get stuff done, I can slow down a 5hp cabinet saw without much effort on 4/4 at 13/16"

Quote Originally Posted by Merrill Herring View Post
    I’m looking at a new table saw and my current delta is old and 2 hp, originally was thinking about a 3 hp unit because I only have a 20amp breaker for the table saw. Is there an real difference between the 3 and 5 hp saws, I probably can upgrade to a 30 amp breaker. I do saw some four quarter hardwoods on occasion.
    Short answer is yes ,there definitely is. Whether you need it or not is the question. A tuned 5HP, with a sharp blade, is pretty impressive.
    A 3HP would generally be considered enough for most folks. I have a 2HP and have run plenty of 8/4" tropical hardwoods through it with no problem.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    3hp is fine for a hobby. I shut down the SawStop several times the other day. Went to the 7hp Powermatic, But less teeth on the Sawstop would have helped... It's more about having the correct blade to start with, then HP comes into play......My area is more for cutting sheet goods than lumber.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by jack duren; 02-04-2018 at 9:33 AM.

I have the 3HP industrial sawstop, great saw and sufficient for 99% of the times. If I had the choice I'd happyily pay the extra $100 or so and get the 5HP.
    I have nearly stalled it a few times ripping at about 3" thick material.

I have a 5hp Jet Xacta Deluxe saw and I am very happy with it. I got the 5hp because when I was buying the saw during a sale, the 3 hp was sold out and they offered me the 5hp for the same price. I have never regretted the decision to go with the 5hp. The 5hp Jet is actually more like a true 3 hp saw, it's rated at 18 amps. All the HP ratings these days are overblown, compared to the older generation electric motors.
    Earl

On a 10" saw in a hobby / semi pro shop you won't see a difference between 3 and 5 hp if your blades are sharp. A full width dado cut with a 10" dado blade might show a slight speed change on a 3 hp saw if you push the wood through at production speeds. Most 5 hp saws have 1" or larger arbors and run 12-16" diameter blades. 5 hp on a 10" saw is way overkill. I use a 12" saw with a 5 hp motor at work and I don't think I've ever been able to see a difference between it and my 10" 3 hp Unisaw in my home shop as far as what I can cut with it, other than thickness of cut capability.

Charley
    Last edited by Charles Lent; 02-05-2018 at 10:40 AM.

I faced this decision when upgrading from a 3HP PM66 to a Sawstop ICS. The 5HP was like $100 more than the 3HP. I had only one time wished for more power on the PM66. That was when using the saw to cut bevels on raised panels at the full depth of cut. Had to slow down a bit which caused burning. I ended up spending the extra $100 and rewiring to a 30A line. Not sure if I ever needed the extra HP but I figured why not.

Blog Entries
    Blades play the biggest part on these saws.

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    Blades play the biggest part on these saws.
    True dad. Good quality and sharp blades/cutters really do help, no matter what the machine or power available. Too many folks (myself included) put off with things like sharpening before quality is reduced, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    True dad. Good quality and sharp blades/cutters really do help, no matter what the machine or power available. Too many folks (myself included) put off with things like sharpening before quality is reduced, too.
    Throw Clean in there too. I little pitch (which I don't have to be able to see) creates a LOT of drag!!
    earl