Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Grizzly's 25mm banjo post hole

I think that if someone has a 1" reamer, then use it. If you have a Silver and Deming 1" drill bit, then use it. If you have both? Then I'd go for the reamer. If you don't have either then you have the choice between perhaps a $12 S&D drill or a $50 reamer.

Personally, I've wondered how a 1" brake hone would work.... It certainly wouldn't grab, but I wonder how long it would take to remove 0.008" x 2.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Chandler View Post
    Bill, I was just making the job simple without having to disassemble the banjo and removing the lock down bar. Using a reamer, which is tapered, one would have to plunge the bit all the way through the hole, to get the entire girth of the taper through, necessitating the disassembly of the banjo prior to drilling, and still needs to be clamped securely to the bed if using a hand drill.

Perhaps I am missing something that you are referencing? I’m always open to a better/safer way, so perhaps a pic of the reamer bit you have in mind would be helpful?
    My post read "If you have a 1" reamer or core drill".
    Neither will grab like a standard drill....particularly when using in a cordless drill.
    Sorry for the confusion, Roger.

We used a lot of core drills in the shop. Most machining I did, though, was cast or nodular when a tool like this was require.
    Or, maybe I've just been retired too long.