Cat Carve 15 red.jpegCat Carve 3 red.jpgCat Carve 4 red.jpgCat Carve 8 red.jpgCat Carve 9 red.jpgCat Carve 13 red.jpg

This is a carving I did for my daughter. This is her cat. She just got a hamster and I carved the cat as the first of two carvings I am doing for her. We noticed the cat trying to worm his way to the hamster and recognizing the interaction between the two I decided to carve her the cat in a pounce alert pose and I will carve the hamster in a "go take a long walk off a short peer" pose.

Since there is no customer for this carving. I took some liberties with it. The little accents on the sides are daddy/daughter accents. The little slashes on the sides are cats claws. There is a line ahead of the forepaws. I was going to carve in a little shelf above the pedestal and decided it was not worth the work. Thats why the line is there.

I decided to show this carving here for instructional purposes. I have seen a few commercially available patterns for this pose and I decided that one thing worth noting is that the commercially available patterns for this pose do not detail any tension in the musculature of the animal. There is not a cat alive either domestic or wild for which this is an at rest pose. If a cat folds its forepaws under its body, that is an at rest pose. But forepaws extended, that is an action pose for every cat on the planet. So you have to define that in the animal's musculature. The cat is about to pounce and you have to define that in the musculature. Hopefully you can see that I have done that here. So a general caution about commercially available patterns, they often do not give you any help in musculature. This one is a particularly glaring available in that there is simply no cat in existence for which this is an at rest pose. As such the commercially available patterns I have seen are entirely inaccurate.

Also worth noting the texturing on this carving. Size is 7"L x 2.5"W x 4"T.