Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any preference in 3HP fixed based routers

Any preference in 3HP fixed based routers

Any big preference in 3HP fixed based routers for a router table and lift? I have a smaller Milwaukee router in another table (no lift) and it’s served me well but I also know many like the PC. I’m probably most concerned with reliability and accessibility above the table. Two wrenches don’t bother me.

The lift will be JessEm Mast-R-Lift.

Models I’m looking at are
    - PC 7518
    - Milwaukee 5625-20
    Bob C

I really like my Milwaukee 5625-20 and highly recommend it to anyone who asks about it.
    Assuming it fits the
    Mast-R-Lift you can't go too wrong.

The PC 7518 is a long-proven standard and it's what I use, but there have been enough reports of speed control issues that mine makes me nervous. The slide switch that controls the speed often leaves me wondering about exactly which position it's in.

If I had it to do over (and I may) I'd look seriously at the new Jessem offering:

http://www.jessemdirect.com/Pow_R_Te...ox_p/05200.htm

I emailed Jessem recently and was told that the router was made for them, to specs based on a Milwaukee that they used to sell.

The digital speed readout would be a big plus, for me, as long as the machine is durable. Can't say about that, obviously.

The 7518 is a standard for CNC machines. We use them for all our heavy routing when we build trade show booths.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    Any big preference in 3HP fixed based routers for a router table and lift? I have a smaller Milwaukee router in another table (no lift) and it’s served me well but I also know many like the PC. I’m probably most concerned with reliability and accessibility above the table. Two wrenches don’t bother me.

The lift will be JessEm Mast-R-Lift.

Models I’m looking at are
    - PC 7518
    - Milwaukee 5625-20
    I also have the Milwaukee 5625. It's been in my Norm type table with the Woodpeckers PRL lift since they were first introduced quite a few years ago. It has been an absolutely solid performer. I have milled many raised panel doors over the years and this router has handled anything I have ever put to it. It has never been used in the hand held base and likely never will.

It seems like the Porter Cable is more of the standard motor for use in a lift, but I have no experience with it. I'm sure either of those choices would serve you equally well.
    Last edited by Dick Mahany; 01-30-2018 at 9:28 AM.
    Dick Mahany.

I use the 7518 in my table, it will spin anything smaller than a '67 Cadillac and the collets/wrenches interchange with my hand-held PCs.

I use the Milwaukee 5626-89 with the PoweRTek remote variable speed control in ... the Jessem Mast-R-Lift. The combination works great and has for about the two years I've had it installed. I love the remote and easily accessible speed control. The collet nuts are easily accessible from above so bit changes are easy. That combo was apparently a Jessem/Milwaukee partnership and is no longer available. But the same motor is available as the 5625.

I've recently added a DRM but I'm having issues with that ... issues not associated with either the Milwaukee or Jessem. I just haven't devoted the time to troubleshooting. Might be something as simple as reading the instructions.

I did a search for the PoweRTek controller and it appears the unit (upgraded with digital speed readout) may still be available. While expensive, it is definitely a consideration. Reading above, I see Nick already pointed that out, and that the router is built to Milwaukee specs, but might not be (likely isn't) a Milwaukee router.
    https://www.jessemdirect.com/Pow_R_T...ox_p/05200.htm
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 01-30-2018 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Availability of PoweRTek and Router
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Both are beasts, but the MW has some topside features the PC doesn't. My MW5625 has been flawless for several years.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 01-30-2018 at 11:18 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I use the PC 7518 for this, but would seriously consider the Milwaukee for this application if I were doing it again, especially knowing that Camaster uses them for their very robust CNC machines when a customer doesn't want to spring for a spindle. As Scott mentioned, the Milwaukee has some other niceties over the older PC design.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use the PC 7518 and have for 10 plus years. Have had no issues with the speed control. But like Jim says the Milwaukee would be good as well.
    Cheers, Bill Fleming

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Fleming View Post
    I use the PC 7518 and have for 10 plus years. Have had no issues with the speed control. But like Jim says the Milwaukee would be good as well.
    That seems to be the consensus with the PCs. The older ones are fine tools, newer ones not so much.

Having the on/off (with a key) plus the remote speed control is very nice. I had been using an outlet/switch combo on a Bosch 1617 and that worked. Typically it isn't plugged in so not having a safety "key" wasn't a big issue. I upgraded when they were closing out the Jessem/Milwaukee and got what I though was a deal plus some desirable functionality. I find it annoying and potentially dangerous to reach under a table blindly to throw a power switch on the router (nevermind the variable speed) and that's for both turning it on, and off.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

if that router/controller combination was the Milwaukee router this would be a no brainer as that switch/speed control would be very nice to have but looking at the router and the wrenches i too am thinking that's not a Milwaukee router. Just a guess.
    Bob C

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Cooper View Post
    but looking at the router and the wrenches i too am thinking that's not a Milwaukee router. Just a guess.
    Those wrenches are a dead giveaway ... the cheese factor is high. The Milwaukee wrenches are gorgeous. Why does something like a wrench matter?

ok...a little more insight. I talked to Jessem and the router is one of their own design and manufactured overseas so it's not an OEM of someone elses.
    Bob C