Thread: New project

New project

Just got back in the shop after a summer and fall of “Woodworkers block” . A pair of nightstands with Chestnut legs, Butternut top and case and drawer of painted white pine. There is a “ defensive secret” built in. I love hidden compartments.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Charlie Jones

Nice looking table, Charlie!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Nice job, Charlie. I love butternut. Are the drawers a color similar to the walls or are they matte black ?

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    Nice job, Charlie. I love butternut. Are the drawers a color similar to the walls or are they matte black ?

I just finished them with a few coats of spray lacquer. The top and legs are finished with Water Lox. Thais is my first time using it. May son in law gave me two gallons leftover from his floor project. I really like it but the wife complained the first night about smell. I couldn't smell it but she says i can't smell anything...
    Charlie Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Yonak Hawkins View Post
    I love butternut.
    The house that I lived in from birth through first grade was completely filled with butternut woodwork and built-ins. Even though I was clearly a little kid at the time, I really do remember how attractive it was. Sadly, that house has gone nearly derelict over the years (i've passed by it a few times) and I think it's a safe bet that it was likely painted over by some unknowing person along the way...probably multiple times. Butternut ("white walnut") is beautiful.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The house that I lived in from birth through first grade was completely filled with butternut woodwork and built-ins. Even though I was clearly a little kid at the time, I really do remember how attractive it was. Sadly, that house has gone nearly derelict over the years (i've passed by it a few times) and I think it's a safe bet that it was likely painted over by some unknowing person along the way...probably multiple times. Butternut ("white walnut") is beautiful.
    It would be nice to recover some of that Butternut. A friend gave me a few boards awhile back. I had no idea it was so pretty.
    Charlie Jones