Thread: blum hinges - 45 degree cabinets? help requested

blum hinges - 45 degree cabinets? help requested

i have two kitchens in play with 45 degree uppers - one is a euro (frameless) overlay, the other is a full inset face frame. i've done a ton of blum hinge work, but not familiar with how to handle these applications (certainly the frameless).

for the face frame cabinet, my gut feel is i can treat it as traditional inset, use a 9mm face frame plate and half cranked hinge - in this application, the door "doesn't know it's on an angle."

but for the frameless... that i don't know how to handle. am i looking at the 79T559180 hinges for this application?

thank you for any guidance!

--- dz

David, I could look this up in the morning when I get to the office.

Bill

One of 2 ways for the euro cabinet - fit a stile inside the carcase on the hinge side made from your carcase material. this effectively turns it into a standard 90 degree format.
    Or use a hinge similar to the one you listed. Personally, I'm in favour of fitting a stile. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

David,

Here are a few choices in the Blum Catalog.

Hinge - 79B9698
    Plate - 173H7100

Hinge - 79B9498
    Plate - 175H9160

Hope this helps. I couldn't find the hinge model number you listed above. I got these model numbers from the Blum Catalog - Copy Right Date 2015

I work with Blum hinges daily but on our commercial projects have never ran into a corner cabinet application.

You also might want to get verification form your supplier.

Bill

David: your number looks close but I can't find it in the catalog. For the frameless, if one had decided to try and use the 45° mount, I'd probably use an inserta clip top 110° or the clip top blumotion 110°. That would be numbers 79T5590B (page 35 of concealed hinge catalog) or 79B3598 (page 14) and then the plate that fits the reveal. The math could get funky because installing a deeper plate would pull the door in as well. So I'm thinking Wayne's idea is really good. The stile simplifies the install considerably though closing up the opening a bit. Another advantage is that likely you could use whatever hinge is being used in the rest of the project. Getting the reveal and stop right is tricky.

I think your take on the face-frame version is spot on.
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Here are the Blum catalog pages for dealing with corner cabs.

guys - thanks.

i think the part number i found is the richelieu part number, which is always a bit off. i have found each of the hinges suggested, and will dial it down. thanks again.

Blog Entries
    My corner upper cab was euro style frameless. These are the Blum hinges my local supplier had at the time (2013). Sorry the number is not visible. He didn't have them in soft close so I had to add their soft close device. Hinge placement was not obvious as you can see by the extra hole in the cabinet.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NOW you tell me...

Pretty sure I used standard 110° hinges & they work fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Engel View Post
    Pretty sure I used standard 110° hinges & they work fine.

i guess i don't see how that's possible. the hinge would bottom out at 45 degrees, so your range of motion would be limited, and the blumotion certainly wouldn't work as it really "catches" in the last 20 degrees or so... i could see possibly using the 170 degree hinges....