Thread: Scraper plane success

Scraper plane success

To all of you that contribute to various debates on specific tools and may be wondering if any of your time is appreciated...well, it is! Here’s to the great scraper plane debate of January ‘18.

Inspired by the conversation, I pulled out a couple of yard sale scraper planes that had been acquired some time ago, was briefly frustrated by, and promply put away.

Needing a break from a current project, I pulled them out and spent a little time re-honing, sharpening to a 45 degree angle (used the high angle setting on the Veritas II) and burnishing at 15 degrees (one even pressure swipe). I set the plane on a flat granite surface, set the blade in to just sitting on the granite and tightened it up. I put about a 1/4 turn on the adjuster knob, and what do you know?...Nice shavings.

Stanley on the right. EC Sterns on the left.

6F8FA638-147B-41DE-BCB1-584752AC7BCB.jpg

Thanks again to all!

Blog Entries
    Thanks for posting this Phil. It gives me an incentive to someday try again with my scraper planes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Since the scraper conversation, I too have been working with the 112 that I have. It sat unused for too long. I'm not to the point where I can diagnose subtle adjustments needed for a given circumstance. Practice, practice, and soon I might be able to give advise about its use. Is a toothing blade worth having around?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Leistner View Post
    Since the scraper conversation, I too have been working with the 112 that I have. It sat unused for too long. I'm not to the point where I can diagnose subtle adjustments needed for a given circumstance. Practice, practice, and soon I might be able to give advise about its use. Is a toothing blade worth having around?
    I'd suggest focussing on getting your 112 thoroughly figured out as a scraping plane before adding more variables to the mix. Toothing irons have completely different cutting mechanics and required techniques in my experience (I have a toothing iron for my LV 112 as well as a dedicated wooden toothing plane. I use the latter exclusively for reasons I'm not going to get into here).