Thread: My biggest bowl so far , box elder

My biggest bowl so far , box elder

Well this one measure 12" across by 5 " deep, my first time with box elder but turns pretty nice, iv'e had this chunk of wood sitting around about 5 years now i think. I also got this one from a raffle i won in my club.
    I made use of an old spindle gouge and turned it into a beading tool, but next time I'll pay more attention to detail as i see some of my beads were a little rough, funny what you see with a camera, ouch. Anyway i really love this one, and those areas are hardly noticeable in person. Not really sure how to sand beads without distorting them or taking them away altogether. box elder side.jpgbox elder inside.jpgbox elder bottom.jpg

Nice bowl and one that will be around for years to come. What finish did you use? A suggestion for next time is to remove all items off the counter so you have a clean background.

When you sand beads, do it lightly and don't fold your paper. I use regular sandpaper, not discs. With your paper unfolded you are only sanding on one side of the bead at a time. Have a crisp edge on your paper and cut it with scissors as needed to maintain a crisp edge. You'll find that the edge will roll over quickly, so each time you stick the paper down into the V groove use a different part of the sandpaper. Stick the edge down in the groove and bring it up and over the crest of the bead, feathering it as you go (meaning try and lighten your pressure on the top of the bead), and don't spend a lot of time sanding the top or you'll flatten it. Beads can be sanded to the same grit as the rest of the bowl, or if you want to stop a grit short I doubt anyone could tell. The higher grits should be quick, only taking a second or two to brush the surface.

Thanks, I used a watco oil finish and then used the Beal buffing system.

Blog Entries
    Duy, the additional items give you a reference as to actual size.