Thread: Plumbing Question -- Removing Compression Bead From Copper Pipe

Plumbing Question -- Removing Compression Bead From Copper Pipe

I am trying to please LOML. We have a pedestal sink in our half bath the water lines run from the floor to the faucet. These are the usual chrome with chrome valves and chrome faucet. The wife would like to change to oil rubbed bronze faucet and she found the water lines, valves and trap in ORB. My problem is that I do not know how to safely remove the compression bead so the compression nut connecting the copper supply to the sink supply lines off.

I know you can cut the bead with a hacksaw or Dremel but if you nick the copper pipe your are in trouble. Since under the bath are HVAC ducting I cannot get to the fitting to replace the nipple that comes thru the floor.

I know there are compression sleeve pullers, I had one when I was redoing our hall bath and it did not work at all so I returned it to Home Depot.

Anyone have a safe way to remove the compression bead?
    Last edited by George Bokros; 01-29-2018 at 4:29 PM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

If you are talking about a ferrule, you should be able to get spares at a plumbing wholesaler.

the ferrule can be a pain. sometimes its best to push it down and put a new one on. you can use a hacksaw, if you nick the other pipe, just clean it up with some emry cloth. or find shark bite fittings. and forget the whole ferrule thing, you can just cut the pipe off assuming that it is long enough.

Blog Entries
    If the ferrule has been compressed, it is likely that the tubing has also been compressed and is now slightly smaller in diameter where eh ferrule is located. Removing the ferrule would leave you with an undersized piece of tubing that may not seal with the new fitting. Generally the nut and ferrule are reused as they are out of sight and only the valve or device is replaced.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    If the ferrule has been compressed, it is likely that the tubing has also been compressed and is now slightly smaller in diameter where eh ferrule is located. Removing the ferrule would leave you with an undersized piece of tubing that may not seal with the new fitting. Generally the nut and ferrule are reused as they are out of sight and only the valve or device is replaced.
    Except in my case the wife does not want chrome but wants oil rubbed bronze plumbing and it is exposed.
    George

Blog Entries
    You can cut open the wall and cut of the offending tubing with a tubing cutter. Then solder in a new piece of tubing. Or just remove the whole length of tubing back to the next fitting.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

On a tough ferrule I always cut it with the dremel half way through, then use a straight screw driver and twist it apart. It’s just soft brass.

The supply should come with a ferrule or just pick a couple up at the store you can not reuse them

You can cut open the wall and cut of the offending tubing with a tubing cutter. Then solder in a new piece of tubing. Or just remove the whole length of tubing back to the next fitting.
    That would be easy except the water supply comes through the floor and in the basement in that area is the major HVAC ducting.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    The supply should come with a ferrule or just pick a couple up at the store you can not reuse them
    I know this Jerry, the issue is removing the existing ferrule.
    George

This has been my experience - the copper pipe has been compressed by the ferrule. I either use the existing nut and ferrule or replace the pipe.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.