Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The GRIZZLY Challenge

1. The GRIZZLY Challenge

We have asked three really talented Woodworkers to create a project from a mystery bundle of wood that we sent to them.

All three of them got the same amount of Curly Koa, highly figured Bubinga, Spalted Maple and reclaimed Indian Rosewood that came from the stairs of my old house. All this wood was from my private collection, so it is nice stuff! The idea is to see how well they use this combination of wood and what the end product is. Should be very interesting. See the details of the challenge here, and be sure to vote for your choice:

http://www.grizzly.com/grizzly-challenge

Thanks.

I look forward to seeing what these craftsmen come up with!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

These guys are active on YouTube and podcasts. I really enjoy following them too. Creative dudes!!! Good luck to them!

Awesome! Thanks for sponsoring this challenge!!

I too look forward to see what they come up with.
    Frankie

I have a great Border Collie, she just can't hold her licker!

I am a guy with a bunch of OWWM, but I love Grizzly and what they do for the woodworking community.

I have never seen any of their work, which is a good thing because when I vote, I will do it without any bias.

Simon

Cool. Should be interesting.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

Blog Entries
    I would have certainly built a surfboard with that- especially with Koa being a Hawaiian wood. Now then, that being said, can you elaborate on these stairs that this wood came from? Those must have been some fancy stairs.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm Schweizer View Post
    I would have certainly built a surfboard with that- especially with Koa being a Hawaiian wood. Now then, that being said, can you elaborate on these stairs that this wood came from? Those must have been some fancy stairs.
    I am trying to locate a picture of the stairs. Yes, they were nice and it was a shame to tear them out when we demolished the house that I had built 30 years ago. The treads were solid Indian Rosewood, nice and wide. That wood is no longer allowed to be imported. I did save all the wood and have the rest of it stored here at the warehouse. It was a custom job with the spindles being oak and rosewood. However the replacement in the new house is a curved staircase made of Bubinga and Maple. Also very nice.

I am a wood "nut" and used most of the really figured woods that I had saved up over the years in my new home. The cabinets are all really figured curly Koa and curly maple. The Koa was from my private stock that I had hoarded over the last 30+ years. That kind of Koa is now impossible to get as they are not allowed to harvest Koa trees any more. The only way they can cut Koa now is when a tree has fallen naturally and then they have to get a permit where someone will come and verify that the tree went down naturally, and then they can harvest the lumber from it. What I paid between $5 and $25 a b/f 20 - 30 years ago is now over $100 a b/f, if you can get it. I still hated to use it, but said to myself that if I didn't use it now, the kids may make crates out of it after I am gone as they do not have the same appreciation for fine woods as I do. I'll try to post some pictures when time permits as I know that many of you have the same appreciation of good woods.

10. Picture of old Indian Rosewood stairs

I was able to dig up a picture of the old stairs. The treads are solid Indian Rosewood and the spindles are a combination of Red Oak and Rosewood. The photo shows a child gate at the bottom.

The Old House Staircase:

And, the New house staircase during construction. Bubinga and Maple. It took twenty workmen to bring the staircase frame into the house from the truck! The curved staircase (steps part) was built off site and delivered to the site in one piece. The spindles and handrail were attached on site. Took about 9 months to make the staircase and two months to install the spindles and handrail. I specified 400 grit hand finish in oil and the finishing guy swore he would never take on that again

Gorgeous,I could only dream of being that talented.Yes sir thank you for supporting this site and being a sponsor

That's some exquisite workmanship, Shiraz!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I just found out the the modern summer Olympic games used to give medals for sculpture and painting. They stopped in 1952 before you could enter your staircase. I would give it a gold medal.
    But I do not think you could build it, as all the qualifying round stuff, in two weeks.
    Bill D.

That's beautiful Shiraz. I can only dream of living in a house with wood like that.

15. That is awesome, Shiraz! Both the staircase, and the contest, not to mention that inlaid floor! Thanks for being involved on SMC, as being able to share our passion and love of woodworking with the owner of such a great woodworking machinery purveyor and have him be so responsive as you were with the banjo on the G0766 lathe is one reason why I order a lot of my tools from Grizzly. I’m supposed to have my newest, a G0800 shipped on 2/1/18!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!