Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

29 Jan 2018

Good Morning Everyone,
    It's been a long weekend for me and The LOML. Our youngest son had to have surgery in the wee-hours of Saturday morning for apendicitis. This has been a very hard month health care wise as we spent 2 weeks taking care of my mother after her back fusion surgery and now this. Just when we think things can't get any more difficult, they do. No woodworking for me for the past month. I think I need some sawdust therapy to help me recover.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, you sure have had a run of playing nurse in these recent weeks! It must be an interesting look trading in your "bibs" for "scrubs". (Seriously, I hope things smooth out for you)

The weekend was somewhat "normal"...albeit "expensive". The Professor needed new glasses, so Saturday morning was spent with an eye exam and then the whole selection process for three sets...regular glasses, computer glasses and sunglasses. Even at Costco prices...ching, ching! The afternoon was spend doing various "in the house" tasks before I cooked up a nice baked cod dinner and then we did our food shopping at Wegman's in the evening. (we may make that a habit...it was actually a pleasant time to shop) Sunday, I was back in the shop working on the finishing processes for the double tack trunk commission from heck. (demanding customer) It was dye and shellac time...and the finger on one glove ripped. LOL "Yellow thumb" is an interesting look. I should have this project wrapped up in a few days and then can move on to the next one...a couple dozen custom sized photo panels for a photographer friend.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,

Yellow Thumb - could be you've just come up with the name for a new competitor to Uber or Lyft

I spent the bulk of my shop time this weekend making dowels and then gluing up segments of short boards (3/4" x 4" x various lengths) to make long boards. Later this week, I'll be putting lock miters on the edges of these long boards and then joining them together to create the 4" square posts for the head and foot boards of the bed I'm building (pictured below).

OscarReclaimedWoodbyKosasHome.jpg

I installed lighting in my shop. A whole bunch of led lights I got from Costco. Next up, shelving and three wood racks I got on clearance from Lowe's for $18 apiece.

Which Lowes? I live in the northland and was at the one in Gladstone and missed that clearance

I sent you a pm

Not a whole lot woodworking related. My oldest daughter left on Sunday back to college and we needed to get her a new cell phone on Saturday, then ran around to a bunch of stores looking for a case for the phone, which nobody had. I fail to understand how all of the whining about Amazon can be reasonable when nobody carries anything that we want to buy in store! So we went to Amazon, got the thing for a couple of bucks, at least 1/4 the price of what anyone else was selling for, and had it shipped directly to her school. But I did get thinking over the weekend what I should do for a headboard for our bed. The old house, I made a built-in headboard with integral nightstands that simply wouldn't have worked here, but the people who bought the house loved it so I left it there and made even more money on the house because of it. But the new bedroom, there's only about 6 inches between the top of the bed and the bottom of the window. I have no idea what to do.

I put 2 coats of tung oil finish on an entertainment center I'm building, replaced the "fast lever" on my new Supermax 16-32 sander (came defective), and centered the spindles on my lathe. Can't do much until I get that entertainment center out of there. Put on a third coat tonight. One more coat to go.

I'm working on a 6' toboggan for my daughters...before Christmas I steam-bent some 3/8" thickness QS red oak slats...left them in the forms to dry for a few weeks (while the holidays came and went) and I'm finally back to that project now...working on some mahogany cross-members to hold it all together. My budget has shrunk lately and so now I'm stuck with some cheap, Chinese-made countersink bits and drilling two holes per slat for each of 8 cross-members is wearing out my arm a bit. But progress is steady. Hoping to sand and finish it next weekend or the weekend after.

Dinghy Tiller Extension

Made a new tiller extension for my "frostbite" dinghy ... we sailboat race (called Frostbiting) on Long Island Sound in the winter. Bought a carbon tube from Rock Composites in Utah, then turned a White oak "ball knob" for the end. For a grip I twisted on a pair of dyneema cords and then lightly epoxied them in place also covering the knob with epoxy. Over the cords I placed marine heat shrink tubing (the red material). The marine tubing has a heat activated glue on the inside which helps keep it in place. The cross-linked polyeofin colored tubing is not especially UV resistant, though this doesn't get much in the way of sunlight. The tubing that is UV resistant all seems too light and/or slippery. All in cost (made two) was well south of a purchased model but only if I don't count the time I worked on it as having any value.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

Picked up some 2x4s to start framing up in the basement. Should add about 1000 sq. ft. of space. (With a bar)

Bowled in a tournament.

Picked up a virus somewhere that put me down for Sunday afternoon and yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Larson View Post
    Picked up a virus somewhere that put me down for Sunday afternoon and yesterday.
    Hopefully not the same thing that tons of people have because it will put you down for a long, long, long time. I've had it for almost a month now. I know people who fought it for 2-3 months.