Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Difference between router and table, and shaper?

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Derryberry View Post
    A shaper that can do everything Rod describes is not a cheap shaper. Reversible tilting spindle with a power feeder is going to cost double what a top of the line router table with a lift, motor and all the accessories cost, then you have to buy the tooling. Going back to the original post, a shaper doesn't make sense for a one off project of some kitchen cabinets that "might" turn into a hobby.
    I would agree with that. That was never the intention of my post- I was merely curious of the differences. my head just spins sometimes reading and trying to soak up information.

Put a light feeder, like a Delta versa feeder, on the router table and you can climb cut and use an outboard fence if you want. Since you have a router table already, look into the feeder. It will be a useful learning experience if you ever do get a shaper, and the results for running things like cabinet door sticking (the cut where the groove and profile is milled) will be better.
    JR

Quote Originally Posted by J.R. Rutter View Post
    Put a light feeder, like a Delta versa feeder, on the router table and you can climb cut and use an outboard fence if you want.
    That's a really great idea I'd never considered. Just run the stock backwards. Thanks JR!
    "the mechanic that would perfect his work must first sharpen his tools.” Confucius

I tend to cut dados on the router table, can be done on a shaper with the stock verticle, just not as easy as the router table where the stock is flat.

I can dado 12" in from the edge on the router table, not possible on the shaper.

I do have both.

Ed

Blog Entries
    Shopping for a shaper, likely purchase toward the end of the year. Anything with a tilting spindle is over 8k brand new, but many can be had used. Only trouble is that any reversible usually requires 3 phase electric, which can be done, but adds another couple thousand to the bill.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 01-30-2018 at 7:43 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Grizzly has a couple of tilting spindle shapers around $4,000.00 and they're single phase.

Blog Entries
    Felder and SCM both have single phase tilting spindles, but I didn’t complete my thought and meant to say that reversible usually requires three phase. The Minimax T45W is listed as reversible without mention as to wether the feature is eliminated on single phase models, so I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Shopping for a shaper, likely purchase toward the end of the year. Anything with a tilting spindle is over 8k brand new, but many can be had used. Only trouble is that any reversible usually requires 3 phase electric, which can be done, but adds another couple thousand to the bill.
    Have a look at the Hammer F3, sliding table, tilting spindle, reverse in a single phase package for a lot less than 8K.

I have it in a B3 saw/shaper combo. I have the 1 1/4" and 30mm spindle, the 30mm allows me to use my dado set and saw blades, as well as metric tooling..........Regards, Rod.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Rod, I’ll have a look and happily stand corrected.

There was a brand new, NOS, 2005, SAC T145 tilting shaper with rolling top on eBay for months for $8500. That's a lot of shaper for the money. 12hp, it had all of the accessories like wrenches and spindles that get misplaced typically.

I almost pulled the trigger on that thing a few times. I'd take that SAC over most of the new offerings.

Blog Entries
    When it comes to it I’ll probably hunt for a used machine but I want it mainly for tenoning, so I need an outrigger and sliding table. Other trouble is that I can’t handle big hp machines in my current shop, 10hp draws 70 amps when converted to single phase, and converting it to single phase is considerably more expensive than my current phase converter. So it’s an added expense that weighs into the decision making.

What I end up looking for becomes fairly rare in the used market since most shapers are higher hp than I want.

Poitras 2 Hp Single phase is reversible and came from the factory that way one machine wish I never bought but over 30 years ago.

Routers and shapers are two different things you cant be without one or the other if you want to make a living. Routers can do stuff shapers cant do like small radius work, shapers are limited to the head size unless you have one that takes router bits and non of mine do even still you can climb cut by hand really on the shaper but you can with a router with hand feed you are holding the tool and control it. Float back climb cutting then forward into minimal material removal. There is overlap in what they do then either one can do things better than the other Different tools you need both or at least I do. Shaper will never let you plunge and and do a cutout with a jig, router will make the template for your shaper for arched windows or gothic and do a better job than a bandsaw then bring it to size hand plane and sanding block like on the video extra work cause its made a slower way and it will never be as consistent. We can learn from all the company you tubes what the machines can do but bottom line they are still people selling stuff. Old guy told me the guy that taught him had a little black book with all his formulas and could make up Gothic church windows very high quality and fast. Router and a shaper, the more the merrier.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 01-30-2018 at 2:22 PM.

I faced the same choice and opted for a used 3HP shaper with power feeder. The downsides of the shaper are cost and set-up time; the pluses are those mentioned by Rod, above, and the fact that you can do a much wider range of things on a shaper than on a router table - especially when you have to do the same things enough times to "pay off" the set-up time. For example, I just got a bargain on some 2 x 6 yellow cedar that I plan to use for the walls in our new laundry room and downstairs closets. The wood is currently drying after getting cut into 7/8th x 6 - next week, however, I'm using a $169 grizzly type shaper head set to turn it into tongue and groove. I have about 540 lineal feet to do - and that's what a shaper/feeder combo is great for: one set-up; one cutter switch; and a total of two passes - try that with a router and you can do it, but it it will take all week.

Felder and SCM both have single phase tilting spindles, but I didn’t complete my thought and meant to say that reversible usually requires three phase. The Minimax T45W is listed as reversible without mention as to wether the feature is eliminated on single phase models, so I could be wrong.

Its reversible in single phase. Was my first shaper, nice little machine.

not all of them can run reverse depends on your locking nut set up as well.