Thread: Bag or Canister Filter

Bag or Canister Filter

I have a Delta Dust Collector model 56-760, I've been using it for 8-9 years.

My dust collection system leaves a lot to be desired ... one of these days I'll upgrade. In the mean time, my question is regarding Canister Filters, would swapping one for the bag I currently have make a noticeable difference in performance?

I'll be doing some research here, I'd appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
    Tim

20180128_135700.jpg20180128_135750.jpg

If you are using the stock, OEM bag, you'll likely notice a difference with either a canister filter or a high-quality replacement bag from American Fabric Filters or similar. Both should flow better and provide better filtration, too. Canisters, IMHO, are "more pleasant" to clean, but that's a subjective thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Tim,

That is one of the best two bag units out there! Not sure what you are trying to do with it but whichever direction you go you will have the same problem of clogging/cleaning. A pre-separator (like a super dust deputy) will be a huge benefit as it will keep whatever media you have cleaner longer. The downside is the separator will eat into some of the performance, but keep it more consistent. A canister will usually have more surface area, unless you buy an oversized bag. However it does not look like you have room for any bigger bag.

I believe your unit came with a 1 micron bag, which is very good considering most bags at that time were 10-30 micron filtration. If you have researched filters then you know the better filters are rated for .5 micron. So that is the long winded way to say you will probably see the best performance increase by adding a separator to keep your filter cleaner longer.

PS: Just saw Jim's post. AFF bags are great. I just cleaned one recently and was amazed how easy it was. There is a coating on the inside that allows you to simply wipe the dust off instead of beating the cloth into a cloud!
    Last edited by Carl Kona; 01-28-2018 at 3:24 PM.
    Hope this helps. Let Us know what you do.

Carl

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you are using the stock, OEM bag, you'll likely notice a difference with either a canister filter or a high-quality replacement bag from American Fabric Filters or similar. Both should flow better and provide better filtration, too. Canisters, IMHO, are "more pleasant" to clean, but that's a subjective thing.
    Hey Jim ... thanks for your feedback.

The bag in use is the original, I have small c-clamps and a couple of pen blanks pinching both upper corners closed as it has seen better days.

"More Pleasant" is a good thing. May also be time to put a separator into the system.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Kona View Post
    Tim,

That is one of the best two bag units out there! Not sure what you are trying to do with it but whichever direction you go you will have the same problem of clogging/cleaning. A pre-separator (like a super dust deputy) will be a huge benefit as it will keep whatever media you have cleaner longer. The downside is the separator will eat into some of the performance, but keep it more consistent. A canister will usually have more surface area, unless you buy an oversized bag. However it does not look like you have room for any bigger bag.

I believe your unit came with a 1 micron bag, which is very good considering most bags at that time were 10-30 micron filtration. If you have researched filters then you know the better filters are rated for .5 micron. So that is the long winded way to say you will probably see the best performance increase by adding a separator to keep your filter cleaner longer.

PS: Just saw Jim's post. AFF bags are great. I just cleaned one recently and was amazed how easy it was. There is a coating on the inside that allows you to simply wipe the dust off instead of beating the cloth into a cloud!
    Hey Carl

Sounds like I made a good decision back when I bought the Delta DC .... thanks for sharing your opinion.

I will also be checking out the (Super Dust Deputy)

I'll give Wynn a call tomorrow and get some prices, from my brief research it sounds like they're the recommended source for canisters filters.

Thank you
    Tim