Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you get a flu shot?

Blog Entries

Did you get a flu shot?

I am 74 years old, in good health. I walk 4 miles every day. I don't ususlly get a flu shot, but given the serious of this years flu I'm thinking about getting a flu shot. Have you gotten a flu shot this year?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I have not gotten a flue shot Dennis, but my doctor said it was only 10% effective this year. The flu has been very bad this year. Last year it was 80% effective .

Yes. So far, no flu.

Yes, without reservation, been doing it for years not had flu for twenty years or more.

Absolutely, every year. And being super diligent about frequent hand washing, and avoiding touching eyes, mouth, or nose after being out in public.

It's not as effective as it should be in your (our) age group. Medicare gets billed an absurd amount for the few drops of vaccine and more for administering it. I never get sick. I don't take any drugs/shots/medicines just because someone thinks it's a good idea. I get flu shots anyway. Every year. You should, too. Stop thinking about it and do it because it takes a while to be effective. Or you could stay home until flu season is over, unless other people in your home get out in public.

The shot will also reduce the risk that you give flu to someone else. And it will not give you flu.

Every year...early in the season if at all possible. And yes, you should get one, IMHO, even this late in the season as according to this morning's news, the current flue season still has at least a couple months to go. While this year's immunization is unfortunately not as effective on the worst strain that's circulating, it sill provides a level of protection that will be helpful generally. In many health insurance plans, a flu shot is free, but even if it isn't, you can usually get it for about twenty bucks from the big pharmacy chains or places like Costco, supermarket pharmacies, etc.

Also, if someone in your household gets the flu, consider asking your doctor for Tamaflu to reduce the likelihood of you getting it, too, or reducing the effect if it is transmitted to you.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

No my doctor said I was stupid to get it but I haven't had the flu and he got the shot and had to shut his office down as he got it and so did his staff. I just try to avoid places where there are a lot of people. When I asked how effective it was he said maybe 10%

Yes. Every year, early in the season my wife and I get our flu shots. Before retirement she worked daily with students in a nearby elementary school for 25 years and I worked in hospitals for 34 years. With that kind of public exposure, it only made sense for us to get them. I don't remember having the flu and I can only remember once that my wife had it. The time she came down with the flu was after we had retired.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 01-28-2018 at 1:01 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I get one every year. So far so good. No flu that I can recall for several years.

I have minimal contact with the outside world so that helps whereas, my DIL is an elementary school teacher and is sick more than healthy.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I don't normally but got one 6 weeks ago.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I have never had a flu shot. My wife works in health care and is required to get one by her employer. She got sick shortly after getting one (she always does) in mid November. I got sick a week or so later. I missed a day and a half of work as a result. First time I missed work due to illness in many years. Would a flu shot prevented it? Who knows.

John

We get the every year. We get the high does one for those over 65.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

The shot this year is about 40% effective, but it generally causes a milder illness even when it fails. It should have been used 3 months ago, but they say now is better than nothing.

There is little downside to the flu vaccine; I can't understand why anyone wouldn't get it early.

Jerome, I hope you are joking about what your doctor told you; but if not, you should report him.

Got poked. Figured 10% is better than nothing. Besides, insurance paid for it.