Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you get a flu shot?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Friedrichs View Post
    Why do you think your anecdotes are more valid that the collective knowledge of the entire medical profession, who are imploring us to all get vaccinated?

I just don't understand people who can so casually disregard experts.
    I read recently about a woman who died at 104. She attributed her longevity to drinking and smoking heavily. Hard to say if she would have lived any longer if she had acted responsibly, but it is fair to say she would have been in better health the last 50 years.

But people believe what they want to.

I got one about 18 years ago because work was paying for them. I got really sick from the shot and was in bed for 3 days which I don't remember any of them. I will take my chances without one.

Why do you think your anecdotes are more valid that the collective knowledge of the entire medical profession, who are imploring us to all get vaccinated?

Vaccines work by herd immunity. If we all got vaccinated, there would be less people suffering from the flu. Do you really not care that hundreds of young children are literally dying from the flu, this year?

Get your damn flu shot!
    I agree and well said, this is equivalent to those who claim they drove for 20 or 30 years without seatbelts and are still alive and using that as evidence that seat belts don't save lives. No vaccine is 100% effective and a small percentage of the population will never get the flu even without the shot.

n

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    I have not gotten a flue shot Dennis, but my doctor said it was only 10% effective this year. The flu has been very bad this year. Last year it was 80% effective .

I got the super flu shot recommended by my doctor.
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 01-28-2018 at 7:21 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I am 74 years old, in good health. I walk 4 miles every day. I don't ususlly get a flu shot, but given the serious of this years flu I'm thinking about getting a flu shot. Have you gotten a flu shot this year?
    Thanks
    ^Yes.

If anyone likes to read, grab The Great Influenza, then decide if you can justify not getting a shot. Take a look at the fatality numbers, and extrapolate to today's population. ....The anti-vaccine crowd might very will survive, but they'll be burying their relatives and neighbors in the backyards.

I'm not a survivalist nut, but viruses are! And one day we'll get a flu strain as contagious as swine, and as deadly as avian.

Politics, religion, Sawstop, and vaccines! Who knew?
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 01-28-2018 at 6:34 PM.

The shingles vaccine reduces the risk of getting it by 51% per the CDC. I will be glad to reduce the risk by that amount.

There is new improved shingles shot. Out now or any day now.

My wife and I are both in our 80's and get the flu shot every year and until this time neither one of us have had the flu in a very long time, can't remember the last time. However this time it was obviously not as effective, because I did get a mild case of it just after Christmas. Our whole gang gets together on boxing day and that's when I probably picked it up.
    Will get it next fall again.
    Cheers,

Tim

Got my first flu shot this year. Have had two pneumonia shots. Spent Four days in June in hospital with pneumonia. Spent ELEVEN days in hospital in October with pneumonia. Finally had to have surgery to drain lung cavity, and scrape right lung. Very next day after surgery, felt a lot better. The problem with pneumonia, besides dying, is the tiredness that follows for a couple of months.

At the risk of being yelled at, or ostracized, no, I didn't get a flu shot. I am 57 and have never had one. I do all other vaccinations, and yes my kids all received their shots. I have had the flu twice in my life, the last time being about 20 years ago. I have a healthy immune system and don't spend much time around people. As others have noted, I wipe off the shopping cart handle every time and wash my hands often throughout the day. I simply have not seen the need for a shot that most years is a crap shot at best. I have not gotten the shingles shot yet, but will once the new one is out and available.
    I am in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection, but with Montana it is love.... It seems to me that Montana is a great splash of grandeur....the mountains are the kind I would create if mountains were ever put on my agenda. Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans. Montana has a spell on me. It is grandeur and warmth. Of all the states it is my favorite and my love.

John Steinbeck

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Blatter View Post
    At the risk of being yelled at, or ostracized, no, I didn't get a flu shot. I am 57 and have never had one. I do all other vaccinations, and yes my kids all received their shots. I have had the flu twice in my life, the last time being about 20 years ago. I have a healthy immune system and don't spend much time around people. As others have noted, I wipe off the shopping cart handle every time and wash my hands often throughout the day. I simply have not seen the need for a shot that most years is a crap shot at best. I have not gotten the shingles shot yet, but will once the new one is out and available.
    Not to "yell" at you, Mark, but in all frankness: is there a reason you think your judgement on this is better informed than the medical community's (which strongly advocates that you get a flu shot)? Are you aware that even less effective flu vaccines are likely to make the flu less severe, should you get it? And do you feel no need to contribute to herd immunity, for the benefit of others?

Vaccines work by herd immunity. If we all got vaccinated, there would be less people suffering from the flu. Do you really not care that hundreds of young children are literally dying from the flu, this year?

Get your damn flu shot!
    I'm not disregarding 'the experts':
    CDC conducts studies each year to determine how well the influenza (flu) vaccine protects against flu illness. While vaccine effectiveness can vary, recent studies show that flu vaccination reduces the risk of flu illness by between 40% and 60% among the overall population during seasons when most circulating flu viruses are well-matched to the flu vaccine
    When they get those numbers to between 90-100%, then I'll get a shot. Until then, based on my medical history- not necessary.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

and in the for-what-it's-worth department:
    from the CDC:

• Percent of children aged 6 months to 17 years who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 49.9%
    • Percent of adults aged 18-49 who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 31.8%
    • Percent of adults aged 50-64 who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 45.2%
    • Percent of adults aged 65 and over who received an influenza vaccination during the past 12 months: 67.2%

a couple of past years stats-
    2009-2010: 39% (adults)
    2014-2015: 47%

I'm done.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

In a quest to find out why some disregard medical advice, ask women who decided to suffer morning sickness rather than take thalidomide.

I get my shot every years. And wash my hands a lot.
    Just common sense to do what's right
    Aj