Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Did you get a flu shot?

Get the shingles vaccine while you're at it. That's no joke either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    No my doctor said I was stupid to get it
    Sounds like you need a new doctor.

Everyone should get it. Even if it’s only 30% effective or whatever the number is, if you do get the flu it won’t be as bad if you had the shot. Seems ridiculous that people don’t get it or that’s it’s a topic of discussion at all. Like those imbeciles who don’t believe in vaccinating their kids.

Yep ... my wife demands it, smart lady. Also got my Shingle shot.

Yes on both flu and shingles and don't forget pneumonia while your at it. Although with pneumonia you may want to check if it is the latest new type that came out late last year as it apparently much more effective. Correction, it's shingles that has the new vaccine.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 01-28-2018 at 9:27 PM. Reason: correction

Nope.

My wife has gotten a flu shot every year we've been married (26 so far), and she's gotten the flu anyway a few times. I've had the flu once since we've been married.

Had the flu a few times as a kid but I've had only one flu shot in my life, back when the Russian swine flu hit in the 70's. I got sick anyway. I also remember getting the flu once in the '80's. So 3 flu's in 40 years, and the one was probably from the vaccine.

I am of the 'you're immune system needs something to do' mentality. My 3-second rule is 3 hours. If my hot dog or steak falls on the ground I wipe the excess crud off and finish eating it. I don't bleach or disinfect everything that doesn't move. I don't wipe off shopping cart handles, as a rule, but I did when the Zika virus was all the rage. I rarely ever get sick, and when I do it's usually a day or two tops.

I just don't feel it's necessary. And the rare occasions I do get sick, I keep my distance from the rest of the world.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Yes, I had the flu shot, I always do, normally near the end of October.

I just go to the closest drug store, takes maybe 10 minutes, then they make you wait 15 after the injection in case you have a reaction..........Rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    Get the shingles vaccine while you're at it. That's no joke either.
    I read there is a 50% chance of getting shingles if you are vaccinated and if you are not vaccinated there is a 50% chance that you will get shingles. This was done by a study of 100,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Sounds like you need a new doctor.

Everyone should get it. Even if it’s only 30% effective or whatever the number is, if you do get the flu it won’t be as bad if you had the shot. Seems ridiculous that people don’t get it or that’s it’s a topic of discussion at all. Like those imbeciles who don’t believe in vaccinating their kids.
    I should have said i was stupid if I didn't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Nope.

My wife has gotten a flu shot every year we've been married (26 so far), and she's gotten the flu anyway a few times. I've had the flu once since we've been married.

Had the flu a few times as a kid but I've had only one flu shot in my life, back when the Russian swine flu hit in the 70's. I got sick anyway. I also remember getting the flu once in the '80's. So 3 flu's in 40 years, and the one was probably from the vaccine.

I am of the 'you're immune system needs something to do' mentality. My 3-second rule is 3 hours. If my hot dog or steak falls on the ground I wipe the excess crud off and finish eating it. I don't bleach or disinfect everything that doesn't move. I don't wipe off shopping cart handles, as a rule, but I did when the Zika virus was all the rage. I rarely ever get sick, and when I do it's usually a day or two tops.

I just don't feel it's necessary. And the rare occasions I do get sick, I keep my distance from the rest of the world.
    The virus in the vaccine is dead. It cannot give you the flu.

I get the flu shot every year. You can also get a pneumonia shot, but you don't have to get that one every year.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I got the shot in October and the flu just after New Year's. Doctor said it should still be less bad than without the shot. I am almost over it now, hard to imagine it could be much worse.

Yup, I got it, so did my entire family, and we all came down with the flu. It was not very effective this year and the vast majority of people I know got the flu this year, shot or not. I've been sick for a month now. I know people who have been sick for 3 months. Nothing you can do but wait it out.

I get it every year also got both pneumonia shots and shingles . I also wipe down my grocery carts. I'm around a lot of people During the week do a lot og handshaking and hugging so I keep a bottle of germX in my pocket and use it a lot. I refill that little bottle a couple times a week.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I just don't feel it's necessary.
    Why do you think your anecdotes are more valid that the collective knowledge of the entire medical profession, who are imploring us to all get vaccinated?

I just don't understand people who can so casually disregard experts.

Vaccines work by herd immunity. If we all got vaccinated, there would be less people suffering from the flu. Do you really not care that hundreds of young children are literally dying from the flu, this year?

Get your damn flu shot!

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    I read there is a 50% chance of getting shingles if you are vaccinated and if you are not vaccinated there is a 50% chance that you will get shingles. This was done by a study of 100,000.
    You misread it; that would mean it did nothing. Good luck getting an insurance company to pay for that. The old shingles vaccine was 50% effective, meaning it reduced incidents by 50% from unvaccinated. Sadly, it also only lasted a couple years, but they never tell you to get revaccinated. I guess it is better than nothing; but not much.

The new one is much more effective and lasts much longer. So... if you want to get vaccinated, hold on a bit for the new one.