Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decided to try PTO

Blog Entries
    By the way, on the subject of preserving PTO after opening a can, no one mentioned sealing the top of the liquid with wax.
    Works on jellies and jams.
    Perhaps the mineral spirits dissolve wax.
    If not, you'd only have to poke a hole in it when you want to use it, then simply pour a bit more wax on it.

Blog Entries
    So it does dissolve wax. Is that a bad thing with PTO. Perhaps a separate can with a bit of wax dissolve in it for the final coat

Kind of like electrical problem, shop lighting and political threads.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post
    So it does dissolve wax. Is that a bad thing with PTO. Perhaps a separate can with a bit of wax dissolve in it for the final coat
    Hé Bill did I not show you the way to keep/preserve the Polymerized Tung Oil, I thought I did, and I have used this for at least 20 years where I can keep the oil for several years with no degrade.

As it is the oxygen in the air that reacts with the oil, so keeping the air/oxygen away is what it takes, I decant the oil into a re-closable bottle and fill the bottle right to the top every time I have used some with water, Oil floats on water.

Here is the kind of bottle I use, and the other picture shows the oil in the top part floating on the water.

reclosable bottle.jpg how to Preserve Tung oil .jpg
    Have fun and take care

Man, I haven't seen a Grolsch bottle in 40 years. Interesting idea with the water, though. Never seen that before.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo Van Der Loo View Post
    Hé Bill did I not show you the way to keep/preserve the Polymerized Tung Oil, I thought I did, and I have used this for at least 20 years where I can keep the oil for several years with no degrade.

As it is the oxygen in the air that reacts with the oil, so keeping the air/oxygen away is what it takes, I decant the oil into a re-closable bottle and fill the bottle right to the top every time I have used some with water, Oil floats on water.

Here is the kind of bottle I use, and the other picture shows the oil in the top part floating on the water.

reclosable bottle.jpg how to Preserve Tung oil .jpg
    Yes you did, Leo.
    Just thinking about other posibilities. Too much free time,I guess. It was 2 below this morning and just too cold to work in the garage.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Man, I haven't seen a Grolsch bottle in 40 years. Interesting idea with the water, though. Never seen that before.
    I assume there are other products with this type of closure, for me I can get Grolsch beer right in the liquor store here, and a six pack of bottles do last me a long time, not the beer so much
    Have fun and take care

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Jobe View Post

Yes you did, Leo.
    Just thinking about other posibilities. Too much free time,I guess. It was 2 below this morning and just too cold to work in the garage.
    Cold ? yes it’s cool here also, I’ll go for a couple weeks to Cuba next week Tuesday, breaks up the winter.

I got a heated shop here, winter is too cold and too long to have not a good insulated and heated shop

todays and forecast temps for here.

Atikokan temps.jpg
    Have fun and take care