Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harbor Freight Lathe

Blog Entries

Harbor Freight Lathe

Is it an good? I am just curious.

Hang on Lowell - You went from making round legs for a bar stool with planes and stuff ("don't want a lathe anyway") to this. Are you sliding further down the slippery slope? say it ain't so.
    David

Some people like it, it's a beginner lathe at best and won't do what the better and more expensive lathes will do. Can't really say more because I have no personal experience.

Blog Entries
    No David, I was just curious why it exists.

They are good if you use it a few times and realize the woodturning is not for you. If you get hooked, then start looking for a better lathe, you may have wasted your money.

Owned one...it was my first lathe. It didn't last long for me functionally because of it's limitations in weight, power and swing. Fine for general, occasional spindle work, but it's not a good machine for bowls and other larger objects. It exists because HF makes good money on it, particularly from beginners and others who don't have the support of a great forum community like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Which HF lathe are we talking about? I have the 10x18, and it works fine for what I need it to do, which is miniature spindles and parts (with the occasional pen thrown in for good measure).

The Harbor Freight lathe 34706 is a clone of the Jet 1236 and has good reviews on the penturner forum. The Jet 1236 parts fit the HF lathe. It is not a bowl lathe, but a good spindle lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by Marvin Hasenak View Post
    The Harbor Freight lathe 34706 is a clone of the Jet 1236 and has good reviews on the penturner forum. The Jet 1236 parts fit the HF lathe. It is not a bowl lathe, but a good spindle lathe.
    I currently have this lathe and have no problems turning 12 inch bowls on it. I have even turned some 14 inch platters without issues. Yes it only slows down to 600 and something rpms but i wouldn't consider putting an out of balance log on it. I have 3 years on this one with countless non spindle turnings and no major issues. If i knew then what i know now i may have put the $400 towards a higher priced lathe but i dont look at this purchase as waste of money. Currently i am saving up for a bigger lathe the power head of this one will be turned into a variable speed disk sander.

I have one Lowell. It works fine for the occasional thing I want to do. I paid around $150 for it in great condition, used. Well worth it for when I want one.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I turn w this lathe and I have no troubles I make all types of projects here's a few to show what it can do.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Nice work Bruce!

I kinda think the skill of the turner has a lot to do with it. I started on a Shopsmith and blamed it for all the catches, vibration, etc. Bought a Nova and quickly learned the problems weren't with the machinery.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    I kinda think the skill of the turner has a lot to do with it. I started on a Shopsmith and blamed it for all the catches, vibration, etc. Bought a Nova and quickly learned the problems weren't with the machinery.
    I agree Glenn that's what I was trying to show Lowell I bought a few chucks from PSI drive & live centers and a set of tools and you can make most anything you can think up.

My Handle is Splinterz25 on most forums.

Jack Of All Master Of None

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn C Roberts View Post
    Yes, it's absolutely true that skill will enter into the equation and a skilled craftsman will generally be able to get great results, even with tools that are not top of the line. The HF lathe works well for within it's capabilities and cost point. What it lacks is size, mass, power and speed adjustability at the low end, and no matter what the skill someone has, those things will at some point catch up. It's likely sweet spot is spindle work for furniture and other smaller turned projects. I'm speaking as a former owner of this particular tool. Similar machines from other names, such as the Jet already mentioned, have similar limitations. It's not so much about the vendor...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...