Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Domino - Center on 3/4" Stock?

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Name one machine that is adjusted by steps? Other than the Domino.
    No tools are perfect and any tool can be improved upon by users' feedback.

However, the steps are something I prefer to keep even if Festool offered another version that employed the piston mechanism. Here is why.

Some domino users use spacer blocks (a Fine Woodworking issue covered that recently), but that is a slow method. The DJ has such built-in capability that MOST (99%?) owners don't know. Because it is not in the manual. In my shop, I build tables with aprons and offsets are a standard feature (with some exceptions). I do the offsets without spacer blocks.

To create an offset from an apron skirt to its leg, use the STEP to set the fence for the apron skirts at one depth (say, 22mm) and mortise everything. Then set the fence to 36mm for the legs USING again the step and mortise the rest. The result is a perfect 7mm offset.

You are not the only one who may not like the DJ as a user or owner. But you can't build large scale furniture pieces or doors with biscuits. Whatever the DJ may be deficient at, it is not designed to be a replacement for every other machine.

The DJ cuts 1/3 to 2/3 of my joinery time in my shop. I sold my biscuit joiner (and bench mortising machine) almost more than a decade ago and never look back. The only time I put away the DJ is when I do a hand tool joinery.

Anyone who has tons of Festool machines and hates them has a lot of options including taking classes at Festool Training Center to learn the untold secrets and techniques (eye opening for even the experienced Festool users), keeping on hating them, or selling them -- there was one guy who did that. He used to a Festool die-hard guy (tons of Festool videos by him and practically he had every Festool tool AND every accessory available in NA) and for reasons unknown to me, he became a non-Festool guy. Just like that.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 02-04-2018 at 7:33 PM.

It seems pretty adjustable to me just in the short time I've been using it. In the picture, I needed two mortises a certain distance down from the ones on the end. I read that the center of the bit is 10mm from the corner of the fence, so I clamped a short fence 10mm away, ran the fence up tight to it, then lined up my center mark and cut. I clamped both legs together to give more to balance on. It worked great.
    Attached Images Attached Images

That's it!

Next time, try using this for better precision, if you have such square for narrow stock like yours: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Empire-M...2990/100208283 You also only need one clamp.

Soon, you will find your dowel jig, biscuit joiner and even mortising machine a surplus to requirement (sell them and use the proceeds to buy more dominoes! -- the best deal is the tenon assortment (systainer with the dominoes and cutters)). I heard that they are working on the connectors for DF500 as well.

Simon
    Last edited by Simon MacGowen; 02-05-2018 at 7:17 PM.

Blog Entries
    Fine Woodworking has an article on how to make some setup blocks.

I just took a scrap of self-stik ruler tape and did this.

Domino Imperial (1).jpg . Domino Imperial (2).jpg

Each increment is doubled; that is, an additional 1/16" on the tape is for a board that is an additional 1/8" in thickness. Gets me more than close enough if I am careful to reference off the same face. With 2 or 3 test cuts I can get it dead on and thought about making some setup blocks. I held off since little of what I do is exactly 3/4", 5/8" and so on. I may change my mind. Time will tell.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 02-05-2018 at 9:09 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    Name one machine that is adjusted by steps? Other than the Domino.
    Larry, several people have tried to tell you: the domino can be adjusted by steps, and it can be adjusted without steps. You get to choose.

I actually have one of those from doing construction, but never thought of using it, good tip.

I hate dowels and never had a biscuit joiner. I do have the Delta bench mortiser. It works pretty well, but the hold-down is terrible and the table is too small. I was already planning on throwing it up on Craigslist.