Thread: Brace Auger Bits: New vs old design.

Brace Auger Bits: New vs old design.

Looking to work my way towards a set of auger bits. I've noticed the traditional brace auger bits have a thinner flights where as the newer powered drill augers have a much thicker, taller flights. Would these newer ones work okay on a brace provided I get a small enough shank? Is it generally bad form to use these with a brace?

Also, if I were to get a used set of auger bits, what are some good options? Any antique shop around here has rusty collections in very small diameters.

Thanks for any help.

Blog Entries
    Most of the new auger bits are made for power drilling. The angle of entry is different and the number of threads on the lead screw are also different. Irwin still makes hand auger bits if you want new ones:

http://www.irwin.com/tools/drill-bit...ter-auger-bits

Kevin,

TFWW carries new hex shank auger bits for use in a brace. They are very good bits. Jim Bode usually has a selection of 13 bit Jennings sets, some are in very good shape. Of course the better the condition the higher the price on used sets. I do not know anything about straight shank augers so I can't help there.

ken

can of bits.jpg
    Beats having to clean these up ( $1 a piece)
    augers.jpg
    These might be a bit too big?

I generally use Jennings auger bits, and they are great. A couple of months ago I purchased a set of Owl augers from LV. These have three cutters rather than the two on the Jennings. They are designed for power drills, although they have a lead screw, but fit braces well enough. Wow do they cut fast!

A tip for those using large auger bits in hardwoods: drill a 1/16" pilot hole first. This makes it easier for the lead screw. You will find the auger bit cuts must faster with less effort.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks for all the good info, gentlemen. I'll definitely be looking into these options! Thank you.

Derek,
    I have the Wood Owl set on my wish list at LV and my intention is to use them in only in a hand brace. Would it be better to have a 3 jaw brace as opposed to a 2 jaw? I realize 2 and 3 both go into 6, so on the surface a 2 jaw would work but I have been wondering if the 3 jaw would be that much better considering the straight hex shank? Most of the information I read about Wood Owl bits is using them in power drills and vary little about using them in hand braces which is another concern of mine? If you have any opinions about my concerns I would appreciate hearing them. Thanks
    Chet

Hi Chet

I was using a 5/8" Owl bit today in a 2-jaw brace. No problem.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Derek, also thanks for the tip on using the 1/16 hole for the lead screw pilot.
    Chet

Blog Entries
    Here is a bit more about augers:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....t-About-Augers

Even though my accumulation is getting a bit large, when they are seen at a low enough price usable bits will usually find its way into my shop. It is always good to have a few spares for when you are working in unknown wood. Hitting a hidden screw or nail with one of the good bits can be a real heart breaker.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If you go looking for old auger bits, make sure you roll them on a flat surface to check how straight they are if possible. I've seen (and ignorantly purchased) a lot of auger bits that were bent a little bit. The smaller they are the more likely they'll be bent it seems.

Blog Entries
    If you go looking for old auger bits, make sure you roll them on a flat surface to check how straight they are if possible.
    Good Point Matthew, other things worth checking are to make sure the outside of the spurs or the underside of the cutting lips haven't been worked with a file or stone.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    +1 on the Wood Owls. They will last longer and dull much slower. They do not heat up like many of the older and newer bits. The screws will pull through just about anything without losing purchase. They can be sharpened just like other drill bits, with the proper file. There have been many posts about these bits. I made half of them ;-) Although, as Derek and others have said they are designed for power drills they work great in braces too. Schwarz has written about them and has been using them for years, both in electric drills and braces. You want the Ultra Smooths. The Nail Bitters, as the name inplies, are designed to drill through nails.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 01-28-2018 at 11:31 PM.

I was drilling mortices in chair stretchers yesterday with a 5/8" Owl bit ...

The three-cutter bit ...

The nice clean hole it cuts ...

Regards from Perth

Derek