Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows - USB Ports not working after Update

Step 1 is to remove Windows from the equation. I do this in one of two ways. My first choice is to boot into the BIOS and look there to verify that the USB ports have not been disabled. Also, on some machines, you can use the mouse from the BIOS. My second choice is to find a Linux boot disk. If you can access the USB mouse after starting from a Linux boot disk. These are often called a "Live" disk. Knoppix is a favorite for many people. As a long time Fedora user, I often go there.

If you cannot use your mouse from a Linux live CD, then you know that the problem is not strictly related to your Windows drivers. It does not mean that the Windows update did not cause the problem, but, if it works there, then you know for certain that the problem is related to Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Stahl View Post
    Any Windows IT person out there? After a Windows Update our USB Ports stopped working so no Mouse, No Keyboard so we can't log in. If I use "Remote Desktop Connection" I can log in and use this PC on our Network. I went to Control Panel-System-Device Manager-Universal Serial Bus Controllers and the screen shot attachment is what I got. I tried to reload them but that didn't work. Deleted the last Windows Update but that didn't help either. Anyone have a fix for this?
    if you have the driver disk that came with the computer it will contain the drivers needed for the USB ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Wintle View Post
    if you have the driver disk that came with the computer it will contain the drivers needed for the USB ports.
    USB ports are native to the mother board and don't need drivers. The things you plug into the USB ports need drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    USB ports are native to the mother board and don't need drivers. The things you plug into the USB ports need drivers.
    Are you sure about that?

Most new computers will boot off a USB drive that no drivers are loaded

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    Most new computers will boot off a USB drive that no drivers are loaded
    Drivers are instructions for communication between devices, and that includes USB headers on the motherboard. Without those low level drivers, nothing you connect would work, regardless of that connected device having it's own drivers or not.